Just bought a 51' P-Bass from Japan

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lex_stanson, Feb 19, 2001.

1. lex_stanson

Feb 19, 2001
    A few of you have been talking about the Japanese models of the Fender Bass and I wanted to tell you that they are fantastic!! I've been searching for a "Sting" signature bass for ages and happened to come across a music store that sells ALL japanese bass guitars!
    The sound is perfect, the condition is mint and it only cost me £800.................if any bass players out there are thinking of turning a little oriental then I suggest you do it ASAP, you won't regret it........

Here's a picture of it (attached)

steve :)
  2. alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Way cool and totally retro. I've often thought about buying such an ax. Tell me, is the single coil pick-up a problem on gigs. I know guitar players who have constant noise problems with their teles and strats. That's why I stick with P basses and J basses with both pick-ups on.
  3. chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Hi! That is really a copy of the 56 P-bass with the sculpted body etc. It looks beautiful. I have a '51 P-bass Japanese copy. Great bass looks like yours with slab Tele body. Workmanship is outstanding. Find one and play it. The neck however is not an exact duplicate of that large bass ball bat the original had. This is a thin jazz bass size, wonderful. Pickup a little less bassy then I wished. I replaced it with an exact replacement MuyGrande pu. They have them in three flavors vintage to Hot. Middle one worked for me. Where's this store? Also there is a Japanese Fender website where you can order basses. Good luck. Rumor has it from the G&L discussion page that Japanese quality has often exceeded the Fender custom shop. Also the Fender Custom shop has repeated design flaws in the name of authenticity. ie. Old Fender jazzes developed a flip up of the fretboard above the 12th while having relief below and after a few years the relics are doing the same thing. Hmmm.
  4. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    <--- DM is Japanese :D
  5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

DM, does that mean you are as high quality as a MIA Fender, but cost less?

6. lex_stanson

Feb 19, 2001
    The sound quality is really good. I've played it through a full PA at concerts and it rocks.
    To think I waited this long to treat myself.
    Later people.

Does anyone know the web address for more Japanese bases??

7. The one I loved was a reissue made in the late 60s, a blonde single-coil Telecaster Bass. Spotted back then; haven't seen one since.