just bought a Ashdown Mag 400 head, any cab suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jazzcatb17, Jan 10, 2003.

1. jazzcatb17

Dec 27, 2002
    Louisville, Ky
    Howdy folks, I just bought a ashdown mag 400 head and i was wondering about any suggestions for cabs. Its 500 watt RMS, 1000 watt peak at 4 ohms and i was looking for something that would give a broad tonal pallette. I dont know alot about matching heads and cabs so any help would be more than appreciated;) thanks jazzcatb17
  2. fender58

fender58 Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Southern California
    I have a ABM C210-500 combo and the 2x10's sound really nice. I have run it with a Carvin 15" and a Bag End 15" as extensions and really would love to get a 15" ext. cab to add to the 2x10's!! I think the Aguilar 2x12's and a 15" would sound really great but I would have to try it first as it really comes down to what sound you like...take your head to a store, if you can and try it??

peace, danny
  3. fremenblue

Jan 8, 2003
    Eugene, Or.
    One of my smaller amps is my MAG200, I run it through a prototype Bag End 4x10 (it was one of two or three they made that year as prototypes for their 4x10 line that came out the next year) and an Eden 1x15 w/attenuated tweeter. The Bag End isn't a very deep cab and you can hear it a little in the lower end. The Eden more than makes up for this shortcoming. Together they sound very nice. You might also consider Avatar cabs--they're made to be able to reproduce low B strings well (like ACME cabs) and are lightweight as well as low-cost. Since you have that subharmonics knob to play with you'll want a cab that can take seriously low-freq tones.
    I know that didn't completely address the more scientific end of matching cabs to amps. ..