just bought a BR-1180 dig recorder w/CD burner!!!

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by frederic b. hodshon, Nov 15, 2002.

1. whoo hoo!!!!

[​IMG]

this will be perfect for rehearsals and working out ideas with my guitarist!!!

2 track recording simultaneously!

phantom power on both mic inputs!!!!

everyone leaves with a rehearsal CD after each and every practice!!!

more later!!!!

f

2. this thing is the poop!!!

soooooo easy and sounds amazing!!!

the drums and COSM amps are top shelf!!!!

i'm gonna have to rethink my studio AGAIN!!!!!

f

3. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    AWESOME man! I have a Fostex VF-16, it does not ahve a CD burner but it is still really cool. I love how these things are SO portable. Have Fun!

4. BassAxe

BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    Cool! I was hoping to score one of those, or one of it's little Boss brothers, at a Mars-Going-Out-Of-Business sale, but every recording device was gone. The only deal worth getting was a Fender Precision Sting signature bass. (got it for just under $500.00)

I still need to get one of those!

5. welp, incorporated this little bugger into the studio.

no more rack!!! much more space!!! with this thing, i've eliminated a line mixer, a drum machine and my VG8 guitar modeler from the mess that is my studio!!!

i recently bought an M-Audio 2496 card for my PC. it has SPDIF.

the Boss 1180 has optical. not to worry though, M-Audio has a little converter box that will link the 2.

now, i can record on the Boss and transfer to the PC if i absolutely have to.

i've used PC based recording systems for years. very nice, but always had SOME issue to deal with:

latency, driver probs, etc.

the Boss is so straighforward. nice to have a dedicated DAW!

this thing handles midi too, so i can use the PC for scoring/midi composing and slave the Boss!!!

heaven!
    f

6. Fhodshon, I got one of them things right here in front of me....:)
    I'v had it for about 3 months still learning how to work it...He hheeh, no really it's super easy to use. I like it....I hate using the PC for recording, because like you said there's always some kind of issue to deal with.... I can take this thing on trips or move to a different part of the house at any time without any troubles...... Have fun!

Fetch![​IMG]

7. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    Yes, these things are really the shiznit...

The only gripe I have about them is that the guitar effects sound extremely digital and cold. (the bass effects SUCK A$$). At least there is the edit feature so you can get them sounding decent. But the built in preamps, compressors, and mic and monitor simulatars are wonderful.

There is another thing I don't like: you only get a 2-band parametric EQ, that doesn't even have bandwidth control. So if you take off a little 500hz, you are actually taking everything from like 300-700hz.

But I will be getting a sub-mixer soon (probably a Spirit or Carvin) so I can mic drums and have a little more control over the sound. Could any of you reccomend a mixer? What do think of the top quality Beringhers, or the mid quality Mackies? Also, what drum mics would any of you reccomend? I know all the Shures, Sennhisers, Audio-Technicas, AKG, and Audix's are good, but do any brands stand out for value?