Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

just bought a BR-1180 dig recorder w/CD burner!!!

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by frederic b. hodshon, Nov 15, 2002.

1. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    whoo hoo!!!!

[​IMG]

this will be perfect for rehearsals and working out ideas with my guitarist!!!

2 track recording simultaneously!

phantom power on both mic inputs!!!!

everyone leaves with a rehearsal CD after each and every practice!!!

more later!!!!

f

2. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    this thing is the poop!!!

soooooo easy and sounds amazing!!!

the drums and COSM amps are top shelf!!!!

i'm gonna have to rethink my studio AGAIN!!!!!

f

3. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    AWESOME man! I have a Fostex VF-16, it does not ahve a CD burner but it is still really cool. I love how these things are SO portable. Have Fun!

4. BassAxe

BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    Cool! I was hoping to score one of those, or one of it's little Boss brothers, at a Mars-Going-Out-Of-Business sale, but every recording device was gone. The only deal worth getting was a Fender Precision Sting signature bass. (got it for just under $500.00)

I still need to get one of those!

5. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    welp, incorporated this little bugger into the studio.

no more rack!!! much more space!!! with this thing, i've eliminated a line mixer, a drum machine and my VG8 guitar modeler from the mess that is my studio!!!

i recently bought an M-Audio 2496 card for my PC. it has SPDIF.

the Boss 1180 has optical. not to worry though, M-Audio has a little converter box that will link the 2.

now, i can record on the Boss and transfer to the PC if i absolutely have to.

i've used PC based recording systems for years. very nice, but always had SOME issue to deal with:

latency, driver probs, etc.

the Boss is so straighforward. nice to have a dedicated DAW!

this thing handles midi too, so i can use the PC for scoring/midi composing and slave the Boss!!!

heaven!
    f

6. Fhodshon, I got one of them things right here in front of me....:)
    I'v had it for about 3 months still learning how to work it...He hheeh, no really it's super easy to use. I like it....I hate using the PC for recording, because like you said there's always some kind of issue to deal with.... I can take this thing on trips or move to a different part of the house at any time without any troubles...... Have fun!

Fetch![​IMG]

7. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    Yes, these things are really the shiznit...

The only gripe I have about them is that the guitar effects sound extremely digital and cold. (the bass effects SUCK A$$). At least there is the edit feature so you can get them sounding decent. But the built in preamps, compressors, and mic and monitor simulatars are wonderful.

There is another thing I don't like: you only get a 2-band parametric EQ, that doesn't even have bandwidth control. So if you take off a little 500hz, you are actually taking everything from like 300-700hz.

But I will be getting a sub-mixer soon (probably a Spirit or Carvin) so I can mic drums and have a little more control over the sound. Could any of you reccomend a mixer? What do think of the top quality Beringhers, or the mid quality Mackies? Also, what drum mics would any of you reccomend? I know all the Shures, Sennhisers, Audio-Technicas, AKG, and Audix's are good, but do any brands stand out for value?