Just Bought A Dean

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by danman, Dec 6, 2004.

1. danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    I was wondering what I got here and if I got it for a good price.

I was heading to guitar center with my fender active dlx 5 jazz to sell the bass to guitar center. I was going to trade it in for a bass and a guitar. I have been really interested in guitar lately and play it a lot at my church. Any way with my G&L I just don't ever play my fender any more. But If I was gonna trade I need a back up.

For my back up bass I was just lookin for a cheap decent sounding bass preferably used, because its cheap. I picked up lots of basses and the last bass I picked up was a dean. Its a blue bass and has three knobs and says jeff berlin on the headstock truss rod cover. This thing sounds awesome and plays great too. Its a little fret noisy but I can deal with that for a back up/practice bass.

The end of the story goes like this.
    Guitar center said they can give me 450 for my jazz bass.....no thanks I will just offer it up on the web. But I will take that Dean something or other bass and an Epiphone ES335 What kinda price can I get. Guitar center gave me the guitar for 310 and the bass for 180. I was pretty psyched out.

I just wanted to know about the jeff berlin Dean that I have and if anyone here had any real experiences or wether or not I got a good deal.

thanks and sorry for the novel

2. kingbrutis

Aug 10, 2003
    Phoenix AZ
    It a very good bass. Just look at the reviews on harmony central. Deans are built very well and you should be very happy. GREAT price too. Later Joe
  3. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I used to own a Dean Edge Q5. I was quite impressed with their construction (in that price range), and their playability. The choice of body wood (basswood) and the choice of pickups (EMG-HZ) didn't thrill me after the novelty of having a new bass wore off, but ultimately it was a good bass. I've heard that their quality control is pretty even across the board, so if that statement holds true, you've got yourself a darn nice bass.
  4. raycer

Mar 22, 2004
    Orange County, NY
    I have a Dean Edge 5 passive and it is a great bass for the money. Even though I bought it used, the bass looks almost new and construction is very good. It doesn't feel/play like a cheap bass.
  5. danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    thanks for the replies
  6. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    $180 is an excellent price for a Dean Jeff Berlin. I used to own one. It is very well made, and the parts are excellent: Bartolini pickups and a Badass bridge. The neck is nice and fast. My complaint about the Dean JB was that it was somewhat nasal sounding. That was fixed by using an external preamp.

If I could have redesigned the Dean JB, I would have included a good onboard preamp (like a Bartolini) and a tilt-back headstock with a zero fret. But then that bass would have sold for a lot more.
  7. danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    Hate to bring up dead threads but....

How come all of the jeff berlins I can see or read about are made in the republic and mine says korea on the back of the headstock. Is this the so called basic model. If it is, what is it worth. Did I still get a good price at 180.

I am just on a quest for more information about the bass. It has the three piece neck, but the pickups don't say bartolini on them and the bridge doesn't say bad ass..,.,,....,.,.,.,hmmmmm