1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Just bought a ds-1 pedal, I want to mod it so it has more bass, can someone help me out?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by PneumaticFrog, Jul 11, 2018.

1. PneumaticFrog

PneumaticFrog

Jun 19, 2018
    hey all, I just bought a ds-1 distortion pedal and I want to mod it, for instance do the diode mod which ( I think) is supposed to give it more bass response. can someone maybe send pictures on what I need to do? I'm one of those people who can't understand written instructions and needs a visual aid of some kind. I couldn't find any mods with instructions that make sense for someone without any electronic knowledge

2. Hah! I just responded to your other thread.
    I still think you should just add a blender pedal and have it all.
    I said in the other thread that if you turn up the tone, you get distortion with very little low end and it is super easy to mix in.

I always use a second amp. Doesn't need to be a good amp either.

3. jpTron

jpTron

Apr 19, 2010
    NJ
    I used the penny something mod like 8 years ago. Turned it into a doom sounding distortion. It was my first time soldering and modifying, but The instructions were super easy to follow. I'm bad with that stuff but the board is labeled so if the instructions say replace C4, you just find it and replace it with the new part.

Misfit Wookiee likes this.
  4. Monte Allums offers several well thought out and easy to DIY kits for the DS1 and other bass kits. These type of DIY kits and more are now a lot of tinkerers became builders like Fuzzrocious.

Monte Allums Mods - Individual Pedal Mods

Grumry and ObsessiveArcher like this.
  5. PneumaticFrog

PneumaticFrog

Jun 19, 2018
    I'm probably gonna go from the description of this YouTube video
    only these parts of the description though (see image) Screenshot_20180712-090517_YouTube.
    but I have a few questions, for one, is there a kit I can buy for this specific method? and also, is there a proper name for this mod and is there a tutorial for that mod?

6. PneumaticFrog

PneumaticFrog

Jun 19, 2018
    so what does the blender pedal do? Im completely new to pedals and just accoustics

7. PneumaticFrog

PneumaticFrog

Jun 19, 2018
    and what do you mean second amp? how are you gonna run two amps at the same time, I probably sound like a complete dufus saying that, but again I'm a complete beginner.

8. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i did the Keeley mods on mine and it sounds pretty nice with a bass now:

9. PneumaticFrog

PneumaticFrog

Jun 19, 2018
    is it hard to do?

10. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    not very hard, but you do have to know how to solder well.
    DS-1Keeleymod-01.

11. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    With the blender pedal your signal is split into two channels of audio. The distortion is in one channel and the other channel is clean. You blend the two channels back together after your effect. This allows you to keep the tight low end of the clean side and blend in some of the color from the distortion pedal. Here an example of a Blender pedal. X-Blender - Effects

I believe a limitation of this X-blender is it does not allow you to process the clean channel. For example, because distortion is compressed, you might get better results running a compressor on the clean side. Or it might be interesting to run a different types of distortion in each side of the blender. For example use high gain distortion on one side and low gain OD on the other.

In addition to blending, when you get the chance, try running an EQ in series with your distortion pedal. Try the EQ before the pedal, and then try the EQ after the pedal and note how the order of the effects changes the sound.

Have fun!

12. PneumaticFrog

PneumaticFrog

Jun 19, 2018
    so what cheap blender pedal would you suggest

13. You can use a splitter. My favorite way to control it is to run a volume pedal not he chain going to the second amp so you can fade it in and out.
    Sounds amazing.

14. PneumaticFrog

PneumaticFrog

Jun 19, 2018
    I'll just stick with my rumble 40

15. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    this x5

this x20

I like the 80s Peavey guitar amps with a cheapo eq pedal there to choke off the lows and leave the gritty grindy mids and top.

boss LS-2.

TBH, I have two sooooper bassy dirt pedals and they're pretty cool in their own way sometimes. In my imaginary triphop/downtempo band they'd be essential for a handful of songs that I'd like to cover. Also, modding stuff is fun and there's a certain rush and pride to doing it with any amount of success.

B u t, in those songs where bassy dirt pedals seem to be what was used, and in 99% of other songs that I have/do play live with dirt, splitting dirt off one way and clean thunder the other lets me have wayyyy better bass-frequencies response and, more importantly, lets me have control over dynamics of the most important end- the bottom- right there instantaneously with my right hand. It really is rather frustrating to get perfect levels in one room/club/bar and have those same pounding choruses fall limp in another r/c/b on another night.
    Another bonus to splitting and bi-amping is being able to throw some wah or modulation on and, again, not mess with the bass response.

Tl;dr I'm the stupidest dummy on Planet Dum Dum. Just crank the bass on your amp, crank that pedal and never ever click it into bypass. Rawk like a rabid Viking death hawk.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    ObsessiveArcher likes this.
  16. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    I second @MattZilla 's recommendation for the LS-2. I think the Xotic is sonically better, but the LS-2 is more versatile and less expensive...although a bit confusing. BOSS - LS-2 | Line Selector

If you have any sort of mixer or combiner, you could use another pedal that splits your signal. For example I have an MXR KFK EQ that has dual outputs. KERRY KING TEN BAND EQ  

I don't actually have a blender pedal, but I do have an amp with a parallel effects loop, which is basically the same functionality as a blender pedal.

17. jcerio

jcerio Gold Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    I did a mod based on this video and I really liked it.

18. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  19. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    or just buy a Boss LS-2, which will enable you to blend in your clean sound.

they are really handy pedals :)

ObsessiveArcher likes this.
  20. FugaziBomb

FugaziBomb

Jun 5, 2017
    Has anymore mentioned the Boss LS-2 pedal yet? ;)