1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just bought a GK 400Rb-IV 210...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Yell03SpecV, Jan 1, 2007.

1. Yell03SpecV

Yell03SpecV

Mar 22, 2006
    Chicago
    And I'm a little worried about reading some of the reviews on the head itself on the HarmonyCentral site. The amp sounds great, and I've only had it for a couple of days, but from what I've read about reliability issues, I'm almost a bit nervous to go out and gig with it, or even practice at gig(ish) volumes. Has anybody here had any issues with the head itself or the combo? I would really like some input if any of you have some; this amp is exactly what I was looking for tonally, and should have sufficient volume for local venues (small/medium sized, still will mic to house). However, like I previously mentioned, I'm a bit uneasy.

Help me put out the fire, guys/gals.

2. FrigginChris

FrigginChris

Feb 6, 2006
    illinois
    my 700rb-II has been nothing but reliable.

3. Well, i have this combo, and to be honest it has caused me a little grief.

It has had a few problems.. the first was that it started cutting out intermittently. I took it to the local tech who couldn't find the problem, but resolded every joint he could find and gave it a full service. Worked great for a little while.. then it started happening again. Took it to the tech again, who replaced the effects return jack, which seemed to fix the problem (i later learned that this jack apparently seems to be a fairly common problem with these amps).

Then it started happening again(!). It was at this point that GK got in contact with me and they offered to send over a newer version of the preamp board to get it replaced. Great customer service i have to say, they tracked me down after i left one of those reviews on harmony central.

The board was replaced and the amp worked great again for another 6-12 months. then, it started distorting on the lower frequencies - again intermittently. i emailed GK, but this time didn't get a whole lot of help.

I've basically given up on it now. I think it is another problem in the preamp board, because by bypassing the preamp section and going directly into the effects return seems work. I've been meaning to take it in to the tech so he can have another look at it, but i'm finding it hard to justify the cost of getting this fixed if it is just going to crap out on me again.

However, I have really only heard positive things about GK's. I'm assuming that i got a lemon. It should also be noted that I had this amp for probably 3 years before anything happened. Also, i have the mark III version, not the mark IV (although mine apparently now has the "updated" preamp board). I even have a new 700RB on order, so i'm giving them another chance. Unfortunately i really really dig the GK tone.

I really hope you don't have any probs with yours! if it hadn't crapped out on me so many times, i probably would be singing its praises...

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've had nothing but pleasure and confidence in all four GK amps I've owned, two 800RB's (both 10+ years old, bought used after years of rigorous touring), a 400RB-III bought new which is now in Hawaii, and my current 700RB-II which I'm planning on keeping for a good long time.

GK is probably the only amp I would ever gig without a backup.

5. Yell03SpecV

Yell03SpecV

Mar 22, 2006
    Chicago
    Your review was one of the ones I read that really concerned me, in regards to longevity in general.

6. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I've never had reliability problems with GK and I've used GK amps for a long time. I wish GK had been aavailable when I first started playing. It's head and shoulders above all the other big name stuff that was out in the edarly days. (I'm not at all nostalgic or a vintage gear snob) If you like the sound of your amp and it does what you want and can handle your gigs, quit worrying for God's sake. Put your attention on playing music and enjoy what many consider an axcellent amp. You'll give yourself an ulcer or worse otherwise.

Every company turns out a lemon every once in a while. These are the ones you hear a lot about. It doesn't mean yours is bad. Also, a lot of guys who post negative reviews don't have a clue about using an amp properly and are never satisfied. Some post negative reviews based on nothing but rumour, never having owned the product. A small percentage of people have bad luck with everything they own and their possesions always fall apart on them.

Ignore others opinions and make up your own mind.

Edited to add--I just noticed you've been reading the Harmony Central site. That one is one of the worst for uninformed opinions.

7. Yell03SpecV

Yell03SpecV

Mar 22, 2006
    Chicago

I would like to know why you think that these negative reviews are "opinion". When I read about things failing or breaking, it is only human to second guess something.

If you choose not to read the HC reviews, that is your perogative. However, build quality and reliability is not an "opinion", and I would rather find out now if there is a common problem with this amp, rather than find out halfway through a gig -- that is what this forum is for.

8. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I find some of these reviews to be false and based on what others have heard on the rumour line. Many others are posted by new players who know nothing about getting a sound out of an amp.

Certainly it can help to know if there is a common reliability problem with a certain brand or line. Personally I don't trust Harmony Central. They certainly aren't up to the standards of Consumer's Guide in my own opinion. You can believe them if you want.

By the way, I've read 349s review and to me it seems like he does have a valid beef. Note he had a RBIII version which did have a problem which is now corrected with the IV version.

Anyhow, please don't construe what I said to be a personal attack on you or your intelligence. It certainly isn't. It's simply my opinion which you are free to ignore, as you should with anything you haven't experienced yourself.

9. Not trying to jump on you here, but thought i should point out that i'm also having problems with updated preamp.

I should also mention one of my old teachers has had this same amp for years as well (the RBII version), and i asked him about it recently and he said he hasn't ever had one problem with it. I would guesstimate this guy plays 3 gigs or so a week on it, probably for the last 4 years or more.

not going to enter into the others opinion debate, but i will say that some of those harmony central reviews are obvious crap - but IMO there are some informed opinions and experieces on there from playing professionals, and they are fairly easy to spot.

10. Yell03SpecV

Yell03SpecV

Mar 22, 2006
    Chicago

Perhaps you're missing what I'm trying to say.

I'm not using the HC database as a baseline judgement for this amp, however, it WAS brought to my attention (based on the reviews) that some people have had issues. Whether or not it is user error... not you nor I would know for sure... so that is why I posted here. If I was planning on going just by what had been posted there, I would never have even bothered to ask anyone here.

11. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Thanks. I understand what you're saying.

12. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Yes, the playing pros are easy to spot.

Sorry you still are having problems.