Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just bought a GT-7

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by alembicbones, Jun 9, 2001.

1. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    I'd been considering it for a while and finally made the plunge today. It's a pretty dang cool bass for the dough. My only problem is I've had a tough time finding specs and care info for the bass(e.g. string heights, fretboard care, etc). GC wasn't the greatest help there.

Any info from you Conklin veterans out there would be appreciated.

Bones

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    congrats!

i would clean the fretboard when you're done playing - the purple heart gets stained after it gets played a lot, like maple.

the strings that came on it, the snake skins, are made by dean markley - they are sr2000's, the will lee signature gauges, but with purple silk wraps instead of gold.

get in touch with bill conklin at conklin guitars and ask him - email him, his email is on the site at www.conklinguitars.com , he's really good about answering questions like that.

3. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Thanks JT. I'll fire him an email tonight.

You know, I think it was all those cool multistring basses that you have that sent me over the edge.

As my handle indicates, I'm an Alembic lover at heart, but this production model exotic really has a lot to offer. When I test drove it, I was able to dial into a lot varying tones. Now, I'll combo it with my Alembic SF-2 superfilter to really explore the tonal spectrum.

Again, thanks for the info and inspiration.

Bones

4. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    actually, alembic basses were bill's biggest inspiration - they did a one-off seven string that he saw a long time ago, and it gave him the push to try one - at the time he was going to do his first six string bass, and so he opted up one :D. if it wasn't for alembic, there might not be any 7 string conklins.

i'm glad you dig the bass - you're right, they really have a lot going for them, especially for the price.

keep me posted on how it goes.

5. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    ah ha! so JT came to the rescue! yay JT! :D

DM

6. I was taking a look into the GT-7 myself actually. I was wondering, how do you think it would be to make the switch from 5 to 7? Also, i don't exactly have the largest hands, actually, probably small for a bass player, though JT, i believe you said once that your hands are also small, how hard is it to play the 7?

7. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    the GT-7 is a bit of a challenge for me, because of the spacing at the nut, but the bill dickens signature bass is great - the spacing at the nut is a bit tighter, very cool. the nut width is as tight on thd BD-7 as it is on the 6 string yamaha pattitucci model.

i guess just try one out and see how you like it - as cheap as they are, they are really worth the money and then some.

8. I was looking at these also. The Bill Dickens model. I found it very easy to play and I have small hands. The strings were nice and close to the fretboard. I thought it was a blast to play although I think spending alot of time in first postion low "F" could get to be a bit painful!

There are certainly times I would like to have that high "C" and "F".

Congrats on your purchase.

Jeff

9. SlapDaddy

SlapDaddy

Mar 28, 2000
    I got my 7 from Notduane (hi ND!) and the first night I played it I thought maybe I'd made a mistake getting it. 6 months later..........everything else feels like a toy!

10. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Just finished my first rehearsal with the bass and here are my impressions.

I found it pretty easy to navigate the bass. I wasn't always playing wrong notes and such. I too have smallish hands, but IMO, the wide neck forces you use proper left hand technique.

My main concern was the C and F strings cutting through the mix. We were all going into the board and monitoring via headphone amp and the C and F strings were lost. No problems with the lower 5 strings. The action seems a little high on them currently and I'm waiting to hear back from Conklin on the proper specs. I guess it's not too surprising that they get lost with two guitarist playing ant the same time. Given my rig, I think I'm going to need to spend some time dialing in the optimum sound.

Finally, here's my last conundrum. After rehearsal, my drummer said he likes the tone of my Steinberger XL the best of all my basses(XL, GT-7, Am. Dlx. J 5, Alembic Essence 5). To keep marital harmony, I probably can only keep 3. The Essence and the Jazz are locks. I have a 30 day return on the GT-7. My biggest problem with the XL is it lacks the B string, a place I really like to reside. However, it does have a great tone and would be difficult to replace.

I'll keep you posted, especially if the XL goes up for sale.

Bones

11. alx564

alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    For some reason I have always loved the way the GT-7's look. I think they are really cool looking basses. When I get me a job I might just get one.

12. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I bought a GT-7 a little over a year ago. I too have small hands and the bass is pretty comfortable.
    I only own several 4-string basses and my 7-string. After playing the 7-string all day it's odd picking up a 4-string.
    No complaints with this bass.

13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

alembicbones, resistance is futile.

You will be assimilated.:D

14. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    I've performed a bit of set up work on the GT-7 and am enjoying it more and more. What's really weird is after playing the 7 for a while, I pick up my Alembic Essence 5 (a heavy bass with a wide neck in it's own right) and it feels like a toothpick with a super skinny neck.

JT, you were right about Bill Conklin, he responded back to me today with his recommendations. I had a couple more questions for him and put a plug in for you (if you really needed it).

So far, the bass is rating an A and I'd recommend the bass to anybody, looking to make their first plunge into the hyper-multistring world.

Bones

15. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    thanks for the plug, alembicbones. :)

and yeah, remember that those high strings are fairly thin - .027" and .022" on the stock snakeskins/sr2000's that come on the GT - they need a bit of special attention to match the output of the lower strings that are 4 or 5 times their size. a bit of amp-tweaking is probably all you need, and you'll be set.

the use of the higher strings is something that any recent convert to 7 is going to have to contemplate heavily, especially for their own situation. they don't quite respond or behave like the lower strings played higher - their tone is thinner and more metallic. i often treat them as seperate entities, sorta "comp" strings, where i can play some higher pitched doublestops on them to fill out some bass lines i'm playing lower.

it almost requires a whole new outlook on the way the bass part is written, and what functions as bass. i've taken cues from rhythm guitar players - some of the best "foundations" don't necessarily occur on the bass cleff.

i mean, obviously the range and tone is there for soloing, but for me, really, their purpose is much different. i'm not much of a soloist - i'm more of an "old-fashioned" bassist, in that i am an ensemble player, and i feel that foundations are my purpose.

but those foundations don't have to be static, or boring. the high strings give me extra options to provide different styles of foundations.

for instance, in one of our songs, i play simple high chords for rhythm above the octave on the top 3 strings, while one guitar is playing high, thin, simple chords for color and the other guitar is soloing using a wes montgomery-esq style (playing the solo with stacked octaves) so the solo is providing the bass content while i am providing the foundation for the part in a higher register. when the change comes up - POW - i move down to the lower octaves with a more traditional bass part, and the impact is really profound. once the bass is back in bass-land ;) the whole tone and character change - gives the part a good feel, imo.

wow, i'm gabby today. anyway, sounds cool, i'm glad you dig your bass. once i went to 7 i knew i would never go back - there's a whole new world out there, right? :D

16. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I took my Surine Protocol 7 (AKA "LaGuardia") to Atomic Music last week to get some minor maintenance done. While there I showed it to a few people...it makes an impression:eek:. Practically everyone who looked at it thought it would be unplayable but I explained, as JT mentioned, that fretting hand technique was the key.

I let several people check it out and every one of them was surprised at how easy it was to play. Mine is not too wide at the nut and has 3/4" spacing at the bridge. The action is very low.

Sonically the upper strings are different, with those gauges it's hard to get around that. The more you play one the easier it gets (duh);).

17. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    :eek:...whew! (the money's been spent :p )

How's it goin' big guy? :) . I think ya' lucked-out...
    my G.A.S. - in' days are about over (famous last
    words :rolleyes: ) . Soon as I get my double, an
    Aguilar or two, some EA cabs, ... :D

18. Ive been considering adding a 7 string to my line up but cant decide between conklin or warrior, any opinions?