1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just bought a gun safe to protect my vintage Fenders

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TreeFitty, May 18, 2011.

1. TreeFitty

TreeFitty

Aug 17, 2009
    Texas
    I have a '69 P and a '62 J, and I've always been worried about fire or theft, ESP when i'm out of town or vacation. So I bought a 420lb safe off CL for $450. It's rated at 30 mins of protection at 1200. It has options where you can control the humidity (ala a humidor).

So i'm wondering which is best for the old wood...more or less humidity? I guess I shouldn't worry too much, the safe will be in my central air controlled room (won't fit in closet).

Has anyone else ever done this?

Thanks...

2. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    great move!!!

3. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    TTIUWP!!!

4. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    The wood is so thick and it's sealed well enough that humidity is of little importance (unless you choose to be extreme with it).

5. SallyGrowler

SallyGrowler

May 17, 2010
    Problem with safe storage:

any moisture trapped inside the safe for a prolonged period will promote rust and pitting on metal parts. You could imagine what it would do to circuits. Chromed parts would take the brunt.

If this is for long term hermetic storage, you should consult with a pro as to humidity control. A museum containing/displaying fine instruments would be a starting point.

I wouldn't worry too much about the wood since we're not talking about a stradivarious, but your metal hardware will definitely need some care.

Not all gun safes are air-tight, and the cheaper ones can be moisture magnets.

If you are periodically removing your basses from the safe (a few times per month) they should be ok with normal - room - humidity.

6. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    I have a gun safe, but I use it to store guns. If you're leaving the safe in a climate controlled room, you'll be fine. Gun safes are great purchases. Nice move.

7. baileyboy

baileyboy

Aug 12, 2010
    You can buy dehumidifiers for safes. Also, you might want to put a hygrometer in there to see what the humidity levels are. Aim for 45 - 55 RH.

8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Yep. Anyone who says not to be concerned with humidity when it comes to instruments hasn't been caring for them for very long. 45-55% is probably a good mile marker. I look to keep mine between 40-60 given where I live.

9. Antny

Antny

Jan 30, 2011
    New York
    Here's the issue with humidity levels (Relative Humidity = RH): you want the RH to remain consistent, no matter where the instrument is. If your house is usually 50% RH, then try to maintain the safe at 50% RH. If your house is usually 30% RH, then try to maintain the safe at 30% RH. Rapid changes in RH = bad. Consistent RH = good.

I hope this helps.

10. no pics, no safe.

11. TreeFitty

TreeFitty

Aug 17, 2009
    Texas
    Thanks everyone for the great insight...I will be taking it out on weekends when I'm at home most of the time...I live in Texas and humidity is bad in spring and summer. I'll have to get something that measures humidity levels both in the house and the safe.

I've attached pics of the safe as well as my axes.

The safe is 5 ft high, 30" wide by 22" deep on the outside, take off about 2" around to get the interior. It has removable shelves, and tops out at a ball busting 420 lbs.

safe2.

safe1.

Here's my 69 P in a tree, ok I was trying to be artistic...I think it's cool but you be the judge:

Bass4.

And here's the reason I bought the safe, my pride & joy, 1962 slab board Leo Fender goodness (was refinned before I bought):

IMG_1968.

IMG_1965.

And here's my mangy mutt who doesn't give a ratt's arse about Leo Fender, just his next biscuit!

IMG_1964.

12. Antny

Antny

Jan 30, 2011
    New York
    Nice basses! I'd put them in a safe too, to keep me from dry-humping them all day. :hyper::D

13. tekhedd

tekhedd Tone chaser Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2009
    Colorado, USA
    Owner/operator of BYTE HEAVEN
    The second most important thing (after avoiding extremes of dry and hot) is to avoid sudden changes in humidity. (And yes with a well-seasoned electric instrument it's probably not hyper critical anyway.)

I would choose a compromise between 45% and the typical humidity of normal "outside" playing.

14. RayG

RayG

Oct 24, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    +1 on the hygrometer. Best to know what your range is. I have one from Radio Shack witch records a hi/lo range. Was cheap.

My gunsafe has a dehumidifer called a Golden Rod to avoid any rust. If yours is in an A/C room then you might find your levels should be OK or maybe even a little dry.

Nice Fenders there!

Regards------------