1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just bought a hartke Cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Greyvagabond, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Greyvagabond

Greyvagabond Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Hey guys,
    Just scooped up a "blem" Hartke 210 XL cab for $168.00 shipped from zzsounds! Good purchase or not? I plan on using it with an SWR 350 redface for a small gig/practice amp, and also to tide me over until fliptops.net finished my custom v4 width 4x10 (selling my SVT 410 HLF)! TB give me your stamp of approval/virtual punch in the face for idiocy!

2. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I dont have that exact cab but I have a low end 4x10 VX and I gotta tell you, with my Ampeg head it sounds really good. Im sure there are much much better sounding cabs out there, but I get compliments all the time on my tone. I say, good purchase.

3. The 2.5XL is IMO one of the best sounding 210's I think I may have heard.
    Never really played through the 210XL.
    Is it the same cab but without the tweeter??

That 2.5 turned a LOT of heads at one of the GTG's at Tom Bowlus's place.
    I started playing and guys stopped and stared in amazment at how good it sounded sitting next to the best offering from Epifani, Bergantino and others.

I think a LOT of people dismiss Hartke as "lowend" or "bargin" gear and just look right past it.
    Sometimes, an inexpensive piece of gear comes along and scares the bejeezus out of the high-end crowd, but they can't/won't play or admit how good it sounds because of name plate pride.

Hmm.....I may have a new sig coming!!!!!

4. Greyvagabond

Aug 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Rock, that's great to hear! I think the 210 xl is fairly different from the 2.5; no tweeter, and sealed, not ported, so probably much less low end. Same drivers, though...but for $168!

5. Ahh.....didn't know that.
    $168 though....NICE!!!!

6. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    I just snagged the last one (I guess there were two?) Unless it didn't update fast enough from your purchase, in which case I'm going to be very very sad. I've been looking for something like this for a while. Oh well. Let's see what happens.

7. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    Hey, it's only 200 watts at 8 ohms, I'll be ok driving this with my LMII right?

8. Gearhead43

Gearhead43

Nov 25, 2007
    NorCal
    I can't stand aluminum cone drivers. They sound like metallic poo.

At least you got a good deal though.

9. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    I think it really depends on your source tone. With the right volume and eq, they put out some cool thick honk. At least my old kickback 12 does

10. Greyvagabond

Aug 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I think you should be fine running a LMII with it. If you use it in appropriate situations, should be fine.

11. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens

Thanks! :bassist:

12. I'm loving my recently purchased Hartke XL810, although its given me 810 GAS and tube amp GAS :crying:

13. :eyebrow:
    A flat surface moving essentiality a column of air....you have ears so precise you can hear the metal eh?!?!
    Wow, super human hearing!!!!

Got to the Bowlus GTG thread and ask the guys there (all high-end gear heads) if they thought the 2.5 sounded "metallic".

Same drivers as the XL.

I've owned just about every high end cab there is- Bag End, Epifani, Aguilar, Bergantino, AccuGroove, Eden, SWR, LDS, Trace....and to be honest, the Hartke sounded no more metallic than a paper coned speaker.

14. Geddy Claypool

Geddy Claypool SX J-75/Traben Neo 4 -> SVT-CL/SVT-810E

Aug 3, 2008
    Maryland
    Some of the Hartke combo w/ aluminum drivers sound phenomenal. They're punchy, and they have that metallic ring in the treble department. Don't diss.

15. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    To me, the Hartke Aluminum cone cabs don't sound metallic, just brighter.

16. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    I was going to write something nastier but held back.

I don't know why Hartke stuff gets such a bad rap from some people. I've owned a 410 XL for 15 years, and although there are a whole lot of lighter/ better sounding cabs out there now, none of 'em I've run across sound so much better that I've felt the need to get rid of it. It's pretty much the only piece of gear I've had/used that hasn't changed multiple times over that time period.

To each their own and all...but criticism like that is ridiculous.

17. Gearhead43

Gearhead43

Nov 25, 2007
    NorCal
    Maybe metallic isn't the right word, how about "abrasive" or "harsh" or "tinny".

I have only played thru other guys amps and never really sat down with a Hartke setup and tried hard to get a decent sound. I am not the only guy who has ever said "Aluminum cones don't sound good". You guys act like it's an unheard of statement, lotsa bassists don't like em.

Different strokes.

18. Gearhead43

Gearhead43

Nov 25, 2007
    NorCal
    Edited for language.
    Play nice or go home.

I don't like them. I've heard lots of them. I've played through some a few times at music stores and other people's rigs, and I don't personally care for the sound. Don't you have something better to do than "attack" someone on a forum because he doesn't share your viewpoint? Sounds like you have the ego problem to me. I don't like the sound of Hartke stuff, period. Oh my god, that must make me somehow "superior"!

So, so deeply sorry I offended those who took me so seriously and please don't jump off that building. :rolleyes:

19. :bag:*awkward silence*:bag:

20. Why don't we Phone Larry and ask him about this thread... / Looks for article with phone # of Larry's cell phone... I Kid I kid

What is it with Musicians Friend and Hartke / Zoom , any reason MF doesn't carry them? and instead of admitting they don't carry them, they correct your search from ZOOM -> BOOM and HARTKE to GK/Ampeg