Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just bought a Mesa Strategy 400...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rockbobmel, Dec 19, 2004.

1. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I just won a Mesa Strategy 400 on evilbay. It looks pretty good, but one tube does not match. I find out more when it arrives. I could use it with my P 1000, since it has 2 inputs (8ohms each) That way I could tweak it for each (1-15) or (4-10) config. I read somewhere that the sensitivity was such that I may go straight into the power amp without a preamp! Whatta bout that? I have a morely A/B/Y splitter. Hell, I may even use it for my home stereo.... I just need some 1/4 to RCA adaptors and I could go 1/4 out to speaker cables... It has a fan, and it may be too loud for home stereo.......... :bassist: Anybody use this for bass? Ben?

2. Mmm. Bitchin'.

3. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I use the Morley A/B/Y to split my pre signal into each side of the Strategy 500. It does the job just fine. I wouldn't use my Strat 500 for home use because the fans in it are kinda loud. When I record with it I set the rack in a seperate room from the cabs I'm micing. As far as the sensitivity goes, a pre isn't required. I've gotten some of the best sounds going straight from bass to amp. On some gigs where I didn't want to take two racks, I'd take the wireless and Strat 500 in one rack, and just used a J-Retro stompbox as a pre. It did the job just fine.

4. Rockbobmel

Yknow, I use my 2000S and it has no fan.... Couldnt I use the Strategy with the fan switched off?? I'm not really gonna push it much for home stereo......

5. Rockbobmel

Still waiting...........It should be here any day..

6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I have a Strat 400 and it's probably the most musical power amp I've ever heard. There's just a sort of "otherness" that I can't describe - an audiophile guy could probably come up with some better adjectives for it. Metallica still uses these things on tour and for recording, and I know that Paul McCartney and Sting use or have used them at some point. I would use it in my current setup but it's one rack space too big and I like the sound sculpting I can do with my Strat 500 (deep switch and half drive).

I've been thinking about running it into our home stereo as well, but I think my downstairs neighbors might just kill me.

EDIT: Which one did you get? The older style with the knobs on the back, or the newer one with the knobs on the front?