Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just bought a QSC PLX 1602!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by j-raj, Apr 11, 2005.

1. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Just drove to a town near Rome, GA to pick up a used QSC PLX 1602. The guy that I bought the power amp from was using it to power his home theater subs... Basically never left his living room, never in a smokey bar and in nearly new condition!

After nearly two years of playing through and lifting a Crown CE1000 (which is a great amp and very reliable), I was looking to go to something lighter and better suited for bass. After PM'ing and emailing cats here and other places, plus lurking in and around the 'AMPS' section of TB, I was down to either a Stewart or a QSC.

Man, this amp is light!!! It's nearly 20 pounds!!

With my untrained ears I can only notice a slight difference in sounds quality... or I should say clarity, cause that is the first thing that I noticed other than the weight. I haven't brought it out on a gig yet, but I can't wait to... Maybe this week's practice will be it's first full volume test.

I have a question for those of y'all that own a QSC PLX, what settings are you using?

I was going through the manual and trying to aquaint myself with what the little switches do on the back. So Far I have the amp bridged mono and the 30hz filter and clip limiter activated.

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I believe I've got everything on, except the Parallel Inputs; the clip limiter, filter, 30hz filter, bridged mono (I only use one cab), and the same options in the lower half are on too.

3. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    You pretty much got it. Use the HPF to keep from pushing a lot of power into subaudible bass, use the clip limiter to keep from blowing up your cab, and run it bridged if you can. Nice setup. What preamp?

4. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    cool, I've got it going into one cab as well... either an 8 ohm 4x10 or an 8 ohm 1x12, depending on the gig or practice.

I'm using the Trace V-Type pre with it... I haven't changed that out yet, I like it... it was what I was using with the Crown CE1000.

I'm either thinking about going down to a 4 space rack (QSC PLX, V-Type & RackRider) or experimenting with trying a couple more pre's in my current 6 space rack... hmm.