Just bought a relic MIM P - what do u think?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Matt Wilson, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Matt Wilson

Matt Wilson

Jul 12, 2005
    Vancouver
  2. The relic is a bit extreme for my tastes, but judging as best I can by the pics it looks pretty convincing. And I dig the pino-esque vibe. Not to shabby, on second thought, I'd rock it.

3. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Flossin'? I thought your name was Munson!

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Hipshot
    I've definitely seen worse relic jobs. Nice score!

4. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Pretty sweet. I'd rough up a couple of those perfect "relic" marks along the upper body.

5. Matt Wilson

Matt Wilson

Jul 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Yeah, hopefully she plays OK. If so I could drop a Fralin or Lollar or something in and have a poor man's Nash!!! Fingers crossed.

6. Matt Wilson

Matt Wilson

Jul 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Yeah gotta drill p/u cover and ashtray holes too. Maybe finger rest as well. I gotta say I understand the logical-rational aversion to relics, but damn, I'm having fun!

7. and in that respect, a MIM is perfect for that role IMO. I would smooth out afew of the finish wear spots around the edges though now that I have reviewed the pics a little they do seem a little to clean and sharp. Not that anyone watching oyu play it would notice. I gotta say the pic of it laying in the case looks very much like an old warhorse from 30 years of gigging to me.

8. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    That's great!

9. Matt Wilson

Matt Wilson

Jul 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Yeah it'd be a shame to tear up an MIA or a MIJ, but a MIM? Not a problem. BTW MIM are selling for 6-700 bones new in Canada right now so that made the decision easier.

10. ledyard

ledyard

Jan 31, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Bingo!

Awsome looking relic IMHO. Swap the pup and your golden.

Light a cigarette and stick it in the e string on the head stock and let it burn down to nothing and your all set.

11. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    What's important is what do "you" think. You're the one who owns it and plays it.

That's all that matters.

12. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Not the worst I've ever seen.

Price was certainly right.

Not a bad deal. :)

13. congrats- Nice score!!! The 2 li'l 'relic' marks in the LAST pic are TOTALLY WRONG tho... Dunno WHAT U can do about it tho ;-)

Again- CONGRATS!!! & enjoy!!!

14. Disraeli Gears

Disraeli Gears

May 29, 2007
    I can't say I'm a fan of relics (or fiesta red for that matter), but for whatever reason I totally dig that bass--nice score :)!

15. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

Great idea!

Great price too.

16. I'd paint something odd like LPB over it and sand most of it off to make it look like an sprayover with the three level effect, but thats just me. Then again that fiesta is pretty sweet.

17. Fletz

Fletz

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
  18. needs a strap button on the back of the stock , looks like its missing a tuner screw as well , not a bad price.

19. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Nice score. I think the rusting is too much and a bit too much paint removed but for the price its not too shabby.

20. SamTheButcher

SamTheButcher Yis, actually.

Sep 25, 2004
    Charlotte NC
    I like it. :cool:
    Wish I could find one like that in a lefty. Maybe a little overdone on the back of the neck, and the rusting of the bridge, but not bad at all. Good to see some people are finally getting the relic thing right. I've seen too much of that 'belt-sander-all-over-the-front-of-the-body' relic jobs.

Nice.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021