Just bought a Sunn 300T this weekend!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by captainpabst, Jul 2, 2002.

1. captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    This thing is freakin' ridiculous. It rumbles my guts with the volume and gain on 3 thru my 8x8...little furry animals and small children beware!! :D

I got a good deal too - 880 plus tax from samash on a closeout.

Anyway I'm happy - just thought I'd share my joy. ;)
  2. I have one too I love it. Spend some time learning the controls and double check them when your gigging. I check the buttons balence the channels check eq and compressor before I turn up.
    Great there someone else here with a 300t.
    Rock on
  3. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    SWEET!!! I used to have a vintage one. Great tone!
  4. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000

Ohhhhhhh buddy:D:D

Finally, I'm not the lone genius here;)

I love my 300T. Through a 2x15 (or probably even your 8x8), never, I repeat NEVER, turn the "Lows" knob to 10 just for fun....the acclaimed "brown note" comes to life:D

I plan on getting a new cabinet to go with my 300T whenever I can scrounge together the money...I have a feeling that an 8x8 would be incredible, but I'm thinkin' more along the lines of a 2x12. More portable (that thing is a beast by itself), and I think it would really bring out the mids of the amp better too.

Congrats on your purchase...I think you'll definitely be pleased.

P.S. Hey brenton...what are some of the EQ's/Compressor settings you use, and what style's do you play?
  5. captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    yeah i'm really happy with it. the only thing missing is the pristine, sparkling high end my bass 750 has. but it's also amazing how much louder the 300T is than my 750; it's also unbelievably fat (even with the tone controls flat!) and creamy like an over-buttered biscuit. heheh.

i've messed with the tone controls enough to come fairly close to a "hi-fi" kind of modern bass sound, but it won't do that as well as my SWR. nevertheless, there are things this sucker can do that NO solid state amp can ever hope to, and that's the point, y'know? :cool:

i know it's a constant topic of debate whether 1 tube watt really equals 1 solid state watt, but no matter what anyone says, the Sunn 300T is louder than an SWR bass 750, same cabs, same bass. this is so killer. every note brings a smile to my face. :D
  6. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    i have always wanted one of these, but here in italy thay were and are really expensive!
  7. Hey Hunter
    I have a 215 cab loaded with JBL e 140 but the last gig I used a 115 and a 112. It had nicer mid and highs.
    Settings. I set the bass and treble flat if I'm loud or just a touch of bass if the volume is down. I set the distortion with just a light bite. and balance the gain to equal ch. 1. A little grit goes a long way and bl;ends well with overdriven guitar. The SWR wont do this. The Eq I scoop with a Boosted high and lows and carfully balence the gain. The compressor I use for a bass boost. I use a little compressoion on the highs and lows and turn the balance to the bass side and give it just the slightest boost with the gain. I have to be careful to set the gain levels because with all the power you don't want to kill the band when pushing the footswitch. It seems small vriations in gain at low volumes get multiplied as it get turned up.
    I play in the band fourpeace. check out www.fourpeace.com We are a jam band with original and a few covers. Both guitars have 100 watt stacks, Marshall and Fender.
    I love the tone and the ability to footswitch grit, scoop and bass boost. The distortion and flexibility has opened new doors to my creativity.
    Rock on