1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Just bought a used Ampeg 410 HE.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mantis Tobaggan, Dec 29, 2016.

1. I may eventually pick up a second one. My 810 doesn't fit in my car. I wanted something I could load into my car so I wasn't relying on anyone to transport my gear. Also, I love having an 810 at home to play out of. Does anyone here have experience with using just an Ampeg 410 HE classic as a cab? I will be powering it with an SVT 7 Pro. What are the pros/cons, what kind of tone does it get? Will it be drastically different from the 810? Thanks.

JimmyM, rickwebb and deathness like this.
  2. The Regulator

The Regulator

Aug 10, 2005
    I use an Ampeg 410 HE with a GK 800RB for most of my gigs and it gets the job done. Since I keep the tweeter off, to me it sounds exactly like the 810 E in a smaller package with less volume (but still loud). Not as bassy as its cousin the 410 HLF but the more pronounced mids help cut through.

10cc and Mantis Tobaggan like this.
  4. rufus.K

rufus.K Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    I have the 410he. It's a great cab

Mantis Tobaggan likes this.
  5. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    Time for a new car.

Gearhead17 and catcauphonic like this.
  6. $350 for a cab is a lot cheaper.

7. Been using a 410HE for years. Love it.
    But my go-to rig of choice is TWO 210HE's.

pbassjbass and Mantis Tobaggan like this.
  8. dtripoli

dtripoli

Aug 15, 2010
    CA
    410HE + 115HE
    With these two cabs you'll have the bases covered.
    85% of my gigs only require the 115HE

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The only con for me is it doesn't sit high enough up to where I can hear it properly. Easily resolved with my trusty little piece of 2 x 2 painted black tilting it back, though.

10. grenadilla

grenadilla

Aug 22, 2011
    alabama
    I have the early 200 watt version . Is your cabinet the recent 410 (wood, not SLM ) ?

11. Yeah it is 500 watts.

12. I had the SVT-410HE classic from the "Made-in-USA" SLM era.

The 410HE is a really good cab, but I couldn't get it sound 'great' with my SVT. Trying to figure out what was going on, I a/b'ed the 410 with the horn off against the bottom half of my 810e and found that even half of the 810 was a livelier setup. Half of the 810 was slightly more lively on the top end, and had slightly more punch. I hated the horn on the 410, so I always had it off. With my rig, I found the 410HE to have a slightly choked tone. You might be able to get more out of it with your amp.

13. Maybe the SLM is different? Were you using the SVT classic?

14. The amp I was using at the time was an SLM "Made in USA" SVT-CL.

The SLM era cabs are said to sound darker than those built when Loud moved production overseas.

I still think the SVT-410HE is a really good cab, by the way. I'm commenting on the differences because that's what you asked.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  15. NAS Bass

NAS Bass Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2006
    London, ENGLAND
    Used one for years with a GK700-II, great little cab, bar gigs to huge stages, it always sounded good.

16. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Sounds like your 810 and 410 were made at different time frames. They used the same speakers, but only the cabs from 2000-2006 are dark.

17. I never really thought about the possibility of two 410 he cabs being from different times. I planned on getting a second, also used, so that i can get close to an 810 tone while also being able to fit them in my car. Also buying used i dont have to worry about them getting beat up from gigging. I was always worried about the screen on my 810 getting dented...

If i get a second, and it is from a different time, i hope it matches ok.

18. I went ahead and ordered a second without having yet received the first one in the mail ... fingers crossed

Gearhead17 and JimmyM like this.
  19. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    Sure, but the SVT-210HE has very little in common (technically AND tonally) with SVT-410HE, except for the tweeter. The 210 is a bass reflex cab, using the very same longer excursion 10" drivers from SVT-410HLF, albeit in a enclosure that has less volume per driver. SVT-410HE is sealed, using the same drivers as the SVT-810E cabs.

grenadilla and rickwebb like this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 11, 2021