Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

just bought a used peavey 410 TX....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Scott Lynch, Mar 5, 2003.

1. Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch Supporting Member

but haven't gotten a head yet. I've been looking for a used SWR bass 350, but am not sure if 240 watts would be enough to cut a gig with. Could I run both speaker outs into the input, or should I invest in a stronger amp? I'm really not sure what to do. Feel free to recommend other amps or ideas, or flame me for writing a stupid thread. Any help would be appreciated.

-Scott

2. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    I just got the same cab few days ago, used also. not sure if you can run both speaker outs to the same cab....might cause problems somehow... I run mine with a carvin R600, bout 175 watts I think at 8 ohms....havent used it with a band yet, so I don't know if it will be loud enough....

any chance you live near me?

3. Scott Lynch

delaware. sorry bro.

4. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    I use my 410TX bridged with an avatar b115 and it sounds alright. I'm using a Fender BXR 300R head which is 300W at 4 Ohms.

One thing I did to get more volume out of it was to disable the crossover. It seemed to cut too much of the mids, so I bypassed it and started running it full range. It's been that way for about a year now and it's much better.

5. I had one and it had great low end for a 410.They are power hungry though.I tried running mine through one side of my Carvin R1000(225w) and it didn't get loud enough to sound good.When I bridged my amp(700w) it worked much better.Killdar you should be bridging your R600.500 watts will definitely work better than 175.Don't worry about blowing the speakers,that cab can take it.

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Scottyax800,

I'm not sure what you're asking...are you wondering whether you can run cables from both speaker outputs of the Bass 350 to both inputs of the Peavey cabinet (assuming that it has two...I've not looked at the back of one) to get more power?

The Bass 350 is a mono bass amp, meaning it only has one power amp in it. The speaker jacks are connected to one another so plugging a speaker cable into one is all you really need to do.

Other SWR amps have a stereo power amp that can be bridged for more power....but the 350 isn't like that.

Depending on how loud the band is, and how efficient the Peavey cabinet is, the Bass 350 may have enough power. Just keep in mind that a scooped mid type tone (also known as a smiley face EQ curve) prevents you from being heard. Take a look at the suggested EQ settings in the Bass 350 manual available at www.swrsound.com The "Rock" setting with slight boost at 200 Hz really helps to cut through with the band. You'll also want to go easy on bass boost and enhance settings. Bass boost will eat up amp power in a hurry and I believe that SWR's Enhance circuit scoops the mids.

Have fun!!!

7. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I have had one for a while now, and let me tell you, they are the most AWESOME cabs ever. They can handle 350 RMS watts, and the tone is nice, punchy, and this cab has a TON of nice, clean low end. NICE HOOK UP MAN! All Peavey gear is underrated, listen to the tone, and you will love it.

8. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    pollybass - how efficient is the cabinet? I know it's a relative thing...but compared to other 4x10s does it seem efficient?

How much power do you use with yours? 4 or 5 (or more) string, what kind of music do you play, how loud is your band etc. Since you have one, this kind of info could help Scotty judge how much power he's going to need...

Thanks for your help!!!!

9. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Umm as far as specs, not sure about how efficient the cab is, but it's plenty loud. For along time, i ran 200 watts into it, and it made walls shake, and it's plenty loud, ive played with a drummer many times with just it. However, these cabs SHINE when feed as much power as possible, they don't really open up until (imho) at least 200 watts are put into them. But Peavey stuff looks power, I would feed all 350 watts it could handle into it if I could, it just sounds great. I play a 4 string in Drop D tuning for my band, and have gigged in my old band, with just 200 watts and this cab, held up FINE. now in my newer band, it's EXTREMLY LOUD(Death math metal), So i run it and a 1x15, but the 1x15 is only for my drummer, all I get is half of 350 right behind me. guitarist uses a 100 watt MESA! He doesnt crank it, but the thing is, I can hear myself fine, and I have more head room to spare, all with using 350 watt head.

What I would do: get a 350 Watt RMS head, and run it right into that bad boy. It should be able to keep up with anything. Plenty of people have only used 350 watts and are fine. JPJ, And many others. If you get a 350 watt head and run into that cab, you should be able to handle just about any gig. Its not about crazy volume on stage, but as far as the band hearing you, and you hearing yourself, this cab is awesome. It can take alot more power than it looks like it could. don't be afriad to CRANK IT! 350 watts, and if things get to loud, just run your pre to the PA, and everything will be nice.

Almost forgot! the TX is a 8ohm cab, so take that into acount. If you can run 350 at 4ohms, it should be fine, thats what i used for the longest, but if you could find a head that sent 350RMS into 8OHMS,,,,,That would be killer, and you could always get another cab if you didn't feel like it was keeping up.(But I doubt you will ;) )

All that being said, I think the SWR bass 350 would be MORE than a good head match for this cab. and if it puts out 240 at 4ohms, you should be FINE, seeing as how i gigged with only 200 going threw it. they say, in general, that a 100watt amp can keep up with a heavy handed rock drummer, but 240 is much better than that isnt it? I would say go for it, sounds good to me. and if your not getting all the head room you want, add another cab and get all 350 watts out of that bad boy! I would have recomended some cheaper stuff, like a used Peavey T-Max (killer cheap head), but if you have the budget for the SWR, more power to ya!

10. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    The 410TX is about midrange on the efficiency scale. It's rated at 98 db, 1w/1m. Interesting thing...it's plywood rather than mdf. I've had a pair of them since 1994 as well as a pair of the 115BW/BX cabs. Used to run one of each powered by an SVT III Pro, without PA support, outdoors and never was told that I couldn't be heard well in the mix. Stage sound was always fine. The III Pro has been relegated to the studio now and my stage head is an Alembic F1-X/PLX1602 combo. When I upgraded the PA and began taking everything through the board, my rig was overkill. Just one 410TX and the PLX bridged mono (1100w) is more than enough. I still love the sound of this 410 cab, it's very deep sounding yet articulate on the top end. It seems to crave power despite the 350w RMS rating. As cheap as they are used, hard not to recommend them.

kim

11. Scott Lynch

thanks for all the replies bros. (and sis :D) if worse comes to worse I could hook the 350 up to my friends Hartke TP 1X15, but i think i'll be fine. Billy, what do u mean by lows eating up amp power? I'm not too educated about how frequencies affect amp performance.

12. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    It takes a lot more power to amplify low notes to the same volume level as mids or highs. The human ear is much more sensitive to mids than low lows or high highs.

This is the reason those pesky guitar players can blast away with their 30 or 50 watt amps and we need 4 to 10 times as much power to keep up. If your tone of choice has boosted lows and highs and scooped mids, you're going to need loads and loads of power to be heard. If you have a limited amount of power you notice that your amp's limit light will be flashing before you're that loud. If that happens, turn down the bass boost and boost the mids at 200 Hz or so...

Good luck!!!

13. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    thanks a lot for the info! :)

I was worried about not getting enough volume while playin it safe, but my confidence is now tripled, and I now realize I've scored a great beast, so bridging it is. cant wait till I practice with my guitarist! :D

14. Professor X

Professor X

Apr 15, 2002
    Motown
    I used to have this cab and I ran it with a SWR Studio 220...(220 watts) It sounded AWESOME... until i played it at a gig... I had to crank the gain and it was clip city! I'd look for the biggest amp you can.