1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just bought a used SWR workingmans 12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by econnofoot, Dec 12, 2006.

1. econnofoot

econnofoot

Nov 24, 2006
    south carolina
    I'd been looking for a used amp for awhile and found a pretty good deal on this one on ebay close enough so I could pick it up. I haven't really played bass for awhile and when I did I used uber old stuff...

I was curious as to anything to look out for with the amp...I avoided geting a wm's 10...seeing that the plugs setup in the rear was kinda goofy and I really wanted a min of 100 watts.

Curious as to any suggestions to a good cheap extension cab...I might consider a DIY deal as I have access to tools...and is there any easy wayto remove this crappy carpet stuff?...the guys cat took to it as a scratching post...I was thinking I could recoat the thing with some bedliner type coating if I can get the fuzz off.

Any input is appreciated.

2. snowdan

snowdan

Feb 27, 2006
    this combo has been debated inside out here. search in case.

if you want to build a DIY cab, then look into the eminence deltalite 2512 12". that one is light, powerful and fair priced. it will work in a variety of cab sizes.

3. I had one for a few years and it worked very well for me. Dependable and good tone. Decent volume for what it is.
    The DI out is a very nice feature.
    I suggest you avoid using the Aural Enhancer a lot. It increases the very low frequencies and robs the amp of power. Although some do like what it does.
    I found if I added an extension cab (8 ohm) it sounded better for rehearsal or low volume gigs. Good luck :D

4. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I used a tube DI (TubeWorks 4001 I think) with mine and it really warmed and fattened the tone. A BDDI would do the same.

5. I've used my BagEnd S15d as an extension cab with my WM12 with good results. Gets fairly loud, but not super loud.

6. econnofoot

econnofoot

Nov 24, 2006
    south carolina
    I bought a mxr m-80 di which seems to help it alot...I'm glad I didn't buy a wm's 10...so far the thing seems pretty solid after putting it through it's paces for the past day.

7. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    Just sold mine after 9 happy years with it. great amp all around. A single 12 or 15 cab makes a great exstension. Some advice:

1. Run the input as hot as possible. Crack the input knob up until the clip lights flickers on your harder plucked notes. SWR's sound much better with a hot strong input signal.

2. Avoid the Aural Enhance or use very minimal settings as this feature simply boosts lows and highs and scoops mids. You wont cut through the mix any where near as well and the amp will run out of head room faster mixed this way.

3. Keep it flat on the floor for best tone unless you sit it on top of an extension cab.

4. I would either turn off the horn or turn the treble down quite a bit, leave the mids at flat (center) or slightly boosted and boost the bass bit. This gave the most even, well balanced tone that allowed maximun headroom. This amp goes loud for a small combo and powers an extension cab quite well.

Enjoy!