Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

just bought a used SWR workingman's 15 amp, my first bass amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chi42069, Jun 8, 2003.

1. chi42069

chi42069 Guest

Apr 23, 2000
    kentucky
    After a month of researching basses, i finally bought my first bass amp. it's a used SWR workingman's 15 off ebay for $399. The bad part is i don't have a bass yet, so i've been playing my guitar through it. It has a pre amp clip that comes one when i used distortion. Does anyone know what this does? Also, does SWR have a website? i can't seem to find it.

peace

chi

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    www.swrsound.com

They have the manuals online. If the preamp clip light comes on solid every time you play (with the distortion box) then you need to turn down the gain. That's how much signal you're sending to the power amp that is contained within. When you set up start playing and adjust the gain until the light only lights occasionally or not at all. If it lights up occasionally while you're playing that's fine. You just don't want it on constantly.

brad cook

3. JPGT

JPGT

Aug 19, 2000
    Carlisle, PA
    Congratulations...I have a workingman's 15 too and absolutely love it.
    To answer your question, the pre-amp LED comes on when either the preamp or tone controls run out of headroom. I think what is probably happening is that the output level of your distortion pedal is overpowering the preamp.
    So...you should set the gain control at the point where the clip LED just barely lights up when you hit your loudest note (do this with the distortion pedal activated). that should keep the preamp from clipping as well as reducing any noise you hear through the amp. After you this, simply adjust the master volume to taste.
    You could also run the distortion through the effects loop located on the back of the amp and adjust the amount of distortion you hear with the "effects blend" control. Either way, the same procedure still applies (though in this case you don't have to engage the distortion when setting the gain control because the effects loop is located post EQ).
    I hope I did a good job explaining this...if not, SWR has a manual for the WM15 on their website (www.swrsound.com) that will be of more help.

-J.P. javascript:smilie(':bassist:')

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    \

Ah..forgot about the effects loop. That's probably the best option.

brad cook

5. chi42069

chi42069 Guest

Apr 23, 2000
    kentucky
    thanks for the help. Yah i figured it wasn't good when that light came on. It kinda made the distortion skip a beat. but anyways i'll check it out on the website.

peace

chi

6. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I play one with my school's jazz band, and it's fine, but every time I nail low notes that pesky limiter comes on. It gets annoying :rolleyes:

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    If that's the case then you need to turn the gain down and master volume up as advised above. If you are maxed out and you and others can't hear yourself then you need to plug into the PA. If there is no PA then it looks like you're stuck with an amp that isn't loud enough for the situation.

brad cook

8. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Well, I run the gain as high as I can without it clipping too much. The limiter (not preamp clip light) takes into account the master volume as well. It's fine, but when I dive deep on the 7 string it flashes a little.

9. JPGT

JPGT

Aug 19, 2000
    Carlisle, PA
    If the limiter light is only coming on intermittently, then it is probably ok to turn off the limiter. Just pull out the effects blend knob to defeat the circuit. This won't harm the amp in any way, just double check with the manual to see if any speaker damage could result.

-J.P. :bassist:

10. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    according to SWRsound.com, the light only flashes to indicate that the limiter has been activated. The claim that the green light can be on without ceasing and that there's no harm. It's not the same as a clip indicator at all, it's just that the signal is being limited as well. No worries there...

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Good call, chi. My first amp was a Bassman 50 with a 212 enclosure. It really blew. But, on the other hand, it didn't have any 15's in it. Naw, naw, naw ... the WM-15 is a great amp, first or otherwise.

12. chi42069

chi42069 Guest

Apr 23, 2000
    kentucky
    thanks, i figured that i should spend more money on a amp than on a bass. I pretty much took a chance. I've heard good reviews of it on here. Then i saw it on ebay for 399 and i had to go for it. All i need now is a bass. So far i play my acoustic/electric guitar through it and it sounds pretty good. good highs with the horn and muffled sound without it. I like the muffled sound though.

peace

chi

13. Don't trust the clip light indicators - they tend to be calibrated below the actual clip level. Use your ears. Turn the master down low and the input gain all the way up. Play through the amp and you should hear distortion. Turn down the input (and turn up the master) until the distortion is gone, no matter what the light is doing. Gets you a few extra dB's!