Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just bought a Warwick Corvette Std Fretless. Some questions.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Papersen, Mar 12, 2005.

1. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Well, I´ve just bought a used Vette Fretless 4. I plan to use it mainly for recording, so I have doubts for those who have recorded fretless.

1- I plan to use an Aguilar DB924 and go directly to the board (PC Sound Card in fact). Do you think I´ll get an overall warm sound with pleny of Mwah ? (obviously it depends on my fingers too)
    2- The bass is strung with rounds and sound pretty decent.
    Should I go with Flats ? Can anyone recommend me some brands / models ?
    3- The fretboard is black, but AFAIK it´s not Ebony since Warwick used Wenge or Ovangkol. Right ?

Thanks in advance

Papersen

2. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA

All fretless warwicks that weren't defretted have ebony boards.

3. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    TI flats, all warwick production fretless models come with the ebony board.

4. I don't know if it is the brand of flats I have on my fretless corvette, but if you want plenty of mwah stick with the rounds.

5. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    It's ebony. The ebony isn't really pure black, they stain it, so don't be suprised if in some places the color starts to lift, and lighten a bit.

I use roundwounds for my Mwah. It hasn't caused any damage yet, 5 months, so I wouldn't be worried about it.

6. Papersen

Mar 22, 2002
    Thanks for the answers.

So, besides potential fretboard damage, a typical fretless
    sound can be obtained either with flats or rounds ?

7. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    yes...it's not the strings. It's the fact that it's a fretless bass that makes the bass sound like that ;)

8. Z-Bass

Z-Bass Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I used an DB924 with my FRETTED Corvette and although I can't comment on the Mwah factor, I can say that it will definitely add the warmth you're after. It just seemed to really add character without coloring the sound too much.

9. :meh:
    Flatwound vs roundwound strings can make a huge difference in tone, particularly with regard to 'mwah'. That being said, technique is often overlooked in the search for 'that sound'- at least until all other avenues are exhausted(speaking from experience).

10. Papersen

Mar 22, 2002
    Can you recommend me some particular brand / model ?

11. jpo259

jpo259

Feb 2, 2005
    Corona, CA
    The best tone, and 'mwah' I have got out of my Warwick Corvette Standard fretless was with D'Addario XL170 nickel roundwounds. I put those on it right after bringing it home. I purchased my Warwick new, so I assume it had Warwick strings on it. NOW........I don't buy a bass becuase of how it looks, etc. I buy becuase of how it plays and sounds, and I bough this Warwick for just that...the way it played and SOUNDED with the stock strings. PLENTY of mwah. I don't believe flats can get what it is you are after. I had flats on my Warwick a few weeks ago for a particular project. Once that was done, off they came. I have DR Black Beauties on it right now. They are ok. The D'Addarios are much more 'alive', imo.

12. Do they make a 5 string version of the Warwick Corvette Std?
    I played a 4-string at gui**** Center once and fell in lurve with the tone. I already own a fretless (Musicman Stingray) but want a 5 string fretless now (damn GAS...).

13. I had one- liked it except for the ovangkol neck(as opposed to wenge). I see them on ebay fairly often.

14. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    They do make a 5 String Corvette Standard (I own one) and I believe that all models are available with a fretless option at no extra charge.

Edit: According to Warwick's site. There is no extra charge for a fretless neck unless you want it lined. Then it is $350.