Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just bought an '85 Jazz bass special:)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by papaya9, May 15, 2003.

1. papaya9

papaya9

Apr 4, 2003
    I can't believe its on its way. I am a guitar player('95 candy red strat w/matching headstock) and I think I am more interested in the bass guitar now. Thanks to all you fellows who gave me your valuable opinion. I also scored a Peavey Minx (Yay!). Here she is!

2. papaya9

papaya9

Apr 4, 2003
    Here is my pet Peavey Minx too!

3. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    good stuff... welcome to the bass world. *evil laugh*

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Bass is a lot more fun than guitar. And you have nice gear! Be prepared for major fun.

5. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Sweet J Special!

6. papaya9

papaya9

Apr 4, 2003
    Thank you, Strudel, Phil, and Funkster! I'm very excited and can't wait until they come next week. Do you guys know if I can run a line from my bass thru my Line6 Vetta combo into my Peavey Minx, for effects? As you can see, I am technologically illiterate to some degree:)

7. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    You'll love it. I had one and wish I never let it go. Mine was a color called Champaign, to me it looked like a gawd awful cross between pink and orange but under stage lighting it could look anywhere between brown and bright red. made in Japan. Played great, sounded great. Enjoy:bassist:

8. papaya9

papaya9

Apr 4, 2003
    CB56- Thanks for those kind words. I think its love at first sight! Triple black, made in the golden years of Japanese guitar production, a hybrid, almost vintage(18 yrs old)! I hope it was taken care of. Thanks again, Kurt

9. BONZOBASS

BONZOBASS

May 7, 2003
    i got the same exact bass and I LOVE IT:D i put DIMARZIO'S and a BAD-ASS and she will burn any p-bass around!:bassist: i'm glad i was introduced to the fine world of fender japan,I'LL NEVER BUY ANOTHER US. MADE BASS AGAIN!(or any other make for that matter)all my fellow bassists who play all there high priced basses razzed me when i told them how good the jazz specials from japan were,every one of them offered to trade me their bass to me for my p/j special. NO WAY :spit:
    i just put a down payment on a pearl white model just like the one DUFF plays on the PARIDISE CITY video (except that one is the POWER SOUND MODEL w/ active p-ups)the only thing i dont perticulry like about them is the stock p-ups,a set of DIMARZIO's for the P pick-ups will make that bass sound "JUST LIKE A VINTAGE P-BASS"i hope you enjoy the bass,if you dont come to love it SEND IT MY WAY !:D

10. papaya9

papaya9

Apr 4, 2003
    Ha ha. I feel the same about Japanese fenders. I am trying to get a nice Japanese tele also!
    I am happy you like your JBS. I probably will change the pickups to something like yours, tho. I ended up paying $340 for it including s/h and insurance. It comes with the unsigned warranty card, registration, and hard case. It is in near mint condition according to the previous owner!! I am so, well..Jazzed! These things will soon become collectors items while Fender continues to churn- out (McDonalds-style) generic basses (No offense to anyone!). Thanks for stopping by,

Kurt