1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Just bought an Aguilar TH500, looking for cab suggestions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by conner5833, Jul 28, 2012.

1. conner5833

conner5833

Jul 24, 2010
    New York City
    Hi all,

I just purchased an Aguilar Tone Hammer 500 and it will hopefully be here next week. Now, I obviously need a cab to go with it. I probably only have enough cash for one cab right now, but I've heard that I should still get an 8 ohm cab, not a 4 ohm one. Anyway, what cabs do you guys like with this head? Any experience is much appreciated.

Thanks

P.S. If possible, I'm looking for something on the lighter side

2. How loud do you need to be? And what's your budget?

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You could get a 4 ohm, but you lose any possible expandability with it. Most folks when they buy a micro rig end up doubling up on the cabs because they soon discover they went a bit too small.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    If it were me, I'd go with a matching Aguilar DB212. Nice little rig, with great tone and plenty-o-volume.

5. conner5833

conner5833

Jul 24, 2010
    New York City
    Well the main band I play in is a jazz/funk band w/ 3 horns (w/ mics) a loud guitarist, and a drummer. I currently just have 150watt gk microbass, and that's not nearly loud enough. My budget is pretty much anything under about $500-550 (that includes cabs that can be found used for under $500, even if their list price is above).

And at 70 lbs, that DB212 is probably too heavy

Macch5 likes this.
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Volume is all about air movement from speakers, and while you will get a very slight volume bump with the TH500, it's not nearly as impressive as the volume bump you get from having a decent sized cab rig. Remember that it takes 10 times the wattage to get twice as loud in the same cab. You won't get quite twice as loud by doubling your cab, but it's a way more significant bump, and if you consider the extra wattage you get by running at 4 ohms instead of 8, then you will get pretty close to twice as loud.

7. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Nov 22, 2008
    Braintree
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    The TH500 turns out 250 watts @ 8ohms, or the full 500 watts at 4ohms, so if you feel volume is an issue and one of the reasons you are investing in one, then bite the bullet and get two 4ohm cabs....it will be cheaper in the long run.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Two 4 ohm cabs? Don't you mean 8? TH500 won't do 2 ohms, will it?

9. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    DO NOT put two 4 ohm cabs in parallel onto the tone hammer. 2 ohms will cook it. :bawl:

10. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    2 Aggie 112DBs or 112SLs

11. astack

astack Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2011
    St. Louis, MO
    :eyebrow: I don't believe the TH is happy with a 2 ohm load, so I wouldn't suggest 2 4 ohm cabs to run together, as others have said.

I'm running the TH with 2 Baer ML112's and it's lovely. They're out of your price range (as are the Aguilar SL12's that are made to match the TH), but I think there are features you could find and should look for in other packages that do the TH good:

- I'd be on the look out for well-reviewed tweeterless cabs, because you're going to want to use that drive knob and it sounds best through full range and/or mid drivers, IMO. :bassist:

- Depending on how you feel about modularity, either a single 4 ohm that can take upwards of 500W+ (something like a 2x12) or a pair of 8 ohms that can take 250W+ (again maybe 2 1x12's). Some people feel one or the other are easier schleps, YMMV. If you're buying up, you could always buy one smaller/cheaper cab now and then sell that when you can pull a bigger one.

- I don't think going to a 4 ohm from an 8 ohm of the same configuration will net you much volume gain, IME. So, I would put that stat lower on the chain.

- Then of course, there's the voicing of the cab - I can't help much there, but search around for anything that TB user KJung has said about the TH500. That man has a rare combo of a great ear and writing ability, and also digs the TH very much.

12. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Sounds like you have some personal experience with this! :eek:

13. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    I have two different 4Ω cabinets, a 2-8, and a 2-12, both with a 6½" mid/high driver, that I use with my Tone Hammer 500, both built by Don Oatman (Low Down Sound); I take whichever one I need for the size of the gig I am doing.

14. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    Nope - but it's like an infant + fork + wall socket. Best to prevent than deal with the result. :(

Seriously though, it's like the instrument vs. speaker cable thingy. I don't intend to find out the hard way (I'm going speakon).

For reference: http://www.aguilaramp.com/products_amplifiers_TH500.htm

15. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    I make my own ¼" speaker cables using the large diameter housing Switchcraft plugs so they are easy to tell apart from similar instrument cable that have the narrower housing plugs. Or, Speakons, if the amp can handle them (my Walter Woods is ¼" only).

16. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    I thought about using Speakon - 1/4" connections if I were forced to use 1/4"... then I figured it's still possible to connect to misconnect - but not to use an instrument cable and risk a fire. What you've done is kinda similar. Good approach to safety, as far as I can tell. :cool:

17. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    You don't mention what cabinet you're using. Not the very best solution, but doubling up on it is very probably the least expensive path. Likely would work for your volume needs. But it's 2 boxes & don't know the total weight. Does either of these rule out doubling up?

If you want a 1 cab solution, I'll always recommend a custom build, either a 15/6 or a 215. Best solutions in almost every case. Use a 15" Eminence Kappa Lite 3015LF & a 6.5" 18Sound 6ND410 in the 15/6. Use either Eminence Kappa Lite 3015s (non-LF) or Faital Pro 15PR400s in the 215, although a tremendous, less expensive alternative is the Eminence Delta Lite II 2515.

You can always go 12s rather than 15s, but you don't really get a significantly smaller box (imho anyway). Volume potential is very good, but can't compare w/15s. And there is virtually zero price difference.

Size/weight on the 215 (rear ported) could be as small as ~ 34" tall x 18" wide x 14" deep and ~50 lbs.

18. jastacey

jastacey Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    I've got a TH500 and here's what I've used with it ... a Berg HS410-4ohm cabinet, a Berg NV610-4 ohm cabinet .... you'll have plenty of volume for most gigs ... I also have the Aguilar GS210 & GS212 cabinets, those cabinets are each 8 ohms and I use them together to produce a 4ohm load ... those cabinets produce a warm,thick, muscular tone

19. ivanthetrble

ivanthetrble

Sep 9, 2002
    Orygun
    I have been thinking of the TH500 as well. For cabs looking at a pair of Bergie HD112s. Figure this would give me some flexibility depending on how much air I want to move and the cabs are about 40lbs each so should be easy to move around. I currently have a rack with the Aguilar DB680 pre with a Stewart World 2.1 power amp and I like the tone but not the 8U rack.

CaptainWally likes this.
  20. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    I forgot to mention, I use good quality cable when making speaker cables up, usually, Audioquest (the cables I have now were made with bulk Type 4 cable). :bassist: