1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Just bought an Ampeg BA-110.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jokerone, Mar 8, 2013.

1. I wanted a practice/recording amp for my small man cave (~ 7' x 15')

Anybody have an opinions on the BA-110? (good, bad , ugly)? :D

I already own the Ampeg SVX (VST), and I'm really happy how it sounds on the computer.

thanks.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I love mine. Sure, it's just a practice amp, but it's got the Ampeg sound, albeit in a smaller package. My only complaint about it is it's extremely bright with knobs at noon, but the treble knob takes care of that quite easily so that's not even a real complaint. Even have used it a few times onstage with my oldies band as a monitor, and I do a small gig on a gambling boat once a month where I use it to cover the house as well:

[​IMG]

3. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    Jimmy, I've got to see one of your shows sometime! :D

I've used a lot of house amp Ampeg combos from 8's to 12's and can always dial in a familiar tone with them. There are some good threads on optional speaker swaps and porting options on TB too.

4. Cool. hope its not too bright. I want it for practicing Reggae Dub which is pretty dark bass.

5. Jaybird1969

Jaybird1969

Mar 21, 2009
    I just picked up a used BA-108 in near-mint condition a few weeks ago at Guitar Center for $50, and I love it. Already gigged it at a couple coffee house-type joints so far. One of the best scores I've made in awhile.

6. I prefer the BA-112 but those are good little amps!

7. I almost bought a BA-112, but decided to save the $$$ and get the smaller one. Hopefully I made the right choice. :confused:

Again, its for a small room and just me, and the stereo for play along. :)

8. I've played double bass for a number of years and can't do that :eek:

What's the secret?

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Oh, it'll darken right up, bro. Just gotta move the dials.

DH, the secret is drugs. No, not really ;) It's really not as hard as it looks. Putting on that stupid Christmas getup was way harder, especially when I looked in the mirror.

10. LOL. I'll bet but hey, we're entertainers as well, yes? :D

11. I'm glad someone had a camera hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. :D

12. Very cool. thanks!
    :hyper:

13. ics1974

ics1974

Apr 13, 2012
    my only complaint is mine rattled like crazy. I ended up returning it but I hear it's common and you can fix it with staples and wood glue.

14. I'm hoping that was a new product problem and they corrected this at the factory since you got yours?

15. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Ya, mine had a rattle that I fixed. Did the staples and wood glue and it worked a lot but didn't entirely fix it, so I added a piece of 1" thick Nu-Foam inside on the back wall where it wasn't lined. Rattle fixed and back in business!

16. Woodstockz

Woodstockz

Sep 23, 2011
    San Diego, Ca
    The Rocket series amps [B50R/B100R/B200R] get good reviews on TB for sounding like the B15s. Some guys gig with them. A friend of mine has a B50R, and I like the sound.

Looking at the schematics, the BA series amps seem to be little brothers to the Rocket amps. The preamp circuits in the BA-108 and BA110 seem to be stripped down B50R preamps, so they sound pretty good. The BA-112 has a limiter like the B50R, and the BA108/110 don't. This is probably why some say that the BA112 sounds a little better. The point is that adding a limiter in the effects circuit may be of interest to you if you want to experiment with tone.

After I had my BA110 for a while, I did some 1 Watt/meter testing. I tested with the stock speaker, and an S2010 basslite. The stock speaker was actually pretty good. But the S2010 averaged almost 3 dB better. That's almost like doubling the power. The point here is that later on, if you want to upgrade, the S2010 option is available.

Anyway, don't worry to much about not getting the BA-112. I made the same decision. Congratulations on your purchase.

:bassist:

17. Woodstockz

Woodstockz

Sep 23, 2011
    San Diego, Ca

Now that's showmanship!

18. Woodstockz

Woodstockz

Sep 23, 2011
    San Diego, Ca
    For our Christmas gig, I was supposed to wear that same elf hat, but I just couldn't do it. So I just got a regular Santa hat.

19. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I'm not up there to waste anyone's time ;)

Thx Woodstockz...I started doing stunts to distract the crowd from bad playing when I first got it. I've gotten a little better but I still do the stunts. Stole them from Marshall Lytle of Bill Haley And His Comets. Great old guy.

20. Good deal. I think for the size of the room, it should work out pretty good.

thanks