Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just bought an Avatar!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Marley's Ghost, Mar 28, 2005.

1. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Ordered a B210 Delta. Dave was on vacation, so I spoke to Eric? Hopefully will have it by Friday.

Anyone get a cover from one of these babies? They recommended Tuki.

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    The first thing I'd do to it is put a better crossover on the horn. The stock one is pretty cheap-n-nasty. Do a search on it and you'll find some good info and some great success stories of vast improvement for not a lot of money of effort.

3. I have one, and the tweeter sounds fine to me, as long as it's turned down to around 9 o'clock. It's a nice cab. Enjoy! :hyper:

4. Welcome to the club!

I usually keep my tweeter off or near-off.

5. That cab is fine the way it is...just play the sh$t out of it!!!! Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Can you ask Avatar to replace the crossover before they ship it?

7. Particle Man

Particle Man

Aug 24, 2004
    I just joined the Avatar club myself. Ordered the SB112 yesterday. Really looking forward to trying it out.

8. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    I blew up my crossover. You really won't need it I don't think.

9. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    I did too, I orderd B210 Neo. Eric is just a nice to talk to as Dave :)

10. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Nope. Others have asked but adding "nice" things to Avatars kinda defeats the purpose. They're designed to be inexpensive so anything that adds to the cost of manufacture isn't looked at favourably.

Avatar's uses a high pass filter on the horn which only gives 6dB/octave roll off. Every other manufactures uses either 12dB or 18dB per octave, meaning that there are a lot less of the low frequencies making it to the horn. And those low frequencies are the ones which sound nasal, add hiss, and if pushed just that little bit too hard, will blow the horn.

As a result, a 6dB hp filter can only work if you raise the crossover frequency considerably. Where most manufacturers cross their horns over at 3K or thereabouts, Avatar has to cross their over at 6K, leaving a gaping hole in the frequency response. And people still blow Avatar horn more often than any other manufacturer. Crossovers are just as much about protections as tone shaping.

11. Gee, I bought one from Eric yesterday, too. It must have been a good day for B210 Delta's.

I'm looking forward to stacking it on my Avatar Neo 115H.

12. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    (Raises hand)

Done it!

13. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Let's go brown truck! :hyper:

I am not too worried about the xover, since I play rock and don't slap much :meh:

I contacted Tuki about getting a cover. I had to call Avatar back and get a bunch of dimension measurments. :confused: I passed them along to Tuki, and got this response:

"Thanks for the dimensions. This will have to bew done as a "custom" item. The Price is $70.00 Standard or $95.00 Padded."

Seems kinda steep to me. It surprised me that the did not have any info on Avatar, since they refer people to them for covers. :meh:

14. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I've got a B210 Delta. At max-i set my horn to 9 o'clock as was said earlier. It's a nice cab-paired w/the B115h [no longer has stock speaker as that one quit workin and since i had a BassMan 200 that had a head portion that didn't work-i swapped the speakers]. I'd like to buy the SB112 or whatever the 1X12 is called, then again-i'd *like* to own one of every avatar bass cab. Oh well. I almost had them all until they came out with the new speaker combos [i've got a 2X10, 1X15, and 2X12]. That's all

15. Ordered on Monday, delivered on Wednesday. Very cool.

Attached Files:

16. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Congrats on your new cabinet!!! However, don't get too excited if Brown pulls up in front of your place because Avatar ships with FedEx Ground :D You want the white truck with the cute little puppy on the side...

Looking at www.avatarspeakers.com, the web design is done by Eric Noss...so Eric must be Dave's son...

I've dealt with "Spence" too...they're all wonderful to work with.

17. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

You are correct sir, Eric is Dave's son...

18. melissalmurphy

melissalmurphy

Jul 11, 2001
    dallas, tx
    i'm also thinking of getting the sp112. let us know how you like it.

19. melissalmurphy

melissalmurphy

Jul 11, 2001
    dallas, tx
    i'm trying to decide between the sb112 and the neo 115. it will be my only cab (i'm downsizing).

care to give a brief review of your 115?

20. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    I got an older 212 used for $150 a few months back. I use it a sub, 100hz and below being pushed by an ancient Sunn Coliseum Slave. AWESOME!