1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Just bought an Eden WT405

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Apr 11, 2006.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Well, I took the plunge and bought an eden wt405 on ebay. The auction had 3hrs left and I had to leave for work 30mins after I came across the auction so it was a bit of a quick decision.

I made the decision based on the following:

The eden 550 was on my short list, along with the carvin b800/500 and GBE 400/500/600. I had also been thinking about the 405 since its a little lighter (15lbs) and it puts out 620w at 2ohms which is more than enough for me. Also, I have read on TB that eden watts are rated conservatively so the 405 at 4ohms should do me fine with my 1210 (if i keep the 1210).

I know what edens sound like and I like the tone. I think it will sound very good with the wizzy stack.

I asked some questions on the eden forum about running an eden at 2ohms. About 10 responses said I should have no problems with many of those saying they always run their amps at 2ohms with no concerns.

Eden amps have a good reputation and if it isnt for me, I dont think I'd have too much trouble selling it. I think I paid either market value or perhaps a little above at $615USD, but i had to make a quick decision and thought I'll just make the minimum bid (the only bid) and if I win it, it was fate. I really dont believe that, but anyway... The amp was a demo unit at a music store in kentucky. i asked the seller some questions about wear and tear, but if it was new and then demoed in store, I am hoping it wont have any issues.

I have always thought of owning an Eden at some point in my life. This amp with two wizzys will be quite a nice rig I believe.:hyper::bassist::hyper:

2. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Congrats on what will certainly be a fine rig! :)

3. nice amp. you'll love it.

I play and Eden WT-330, all Solid State but sounds warmer then some heads I've had with tube pre's. My head had the "gold ear chip" in it, by way of a "warmth" switch. It sounds awesome. - I'm very supprised how it breaks up like tubes do when you give it more gain. Anyway, enough rambling on about my head. I just think Eden is awesome!

4. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    I just got the Time Traveler 330 and love it for all the reasons that have been posted here.

Also... this is the first amp that I've had that give too much bass, mid, or treble if you crank it up and way too little if you go to the downside... so there is lots of headroom to fix things. Eden suggest that most players leave the EQ to "12:00" and change tone with the "Enhance" knob. I think that might be close to correct.

The compressor (which I don't use) is very good and I'm guessing that many players will find it musically useful.

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Nice! I think you will be very happy with that setup. The WT-405 definitely impressed me the last time I was up at LDS. I was not able to do an A/B with the WT-550, but I recall liking the 550, but not being as impressed as I was with the 405. That head should sound good with two Wizzy's!

Tom.

6. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    That will be a monster little stack. I have two wizzys also, and although I haven't played a WT405 through them, I did use to play a WT330 through an EA 10" cab (can't remember the model). That was a mini monster!!

Congrats!
    Liam

7. I have the CXC-110(WT-330 in a 1x10 combo). Love it for DB, add a cab or two & it's great for BG. I brought mine home from church Sunday night & have been fooling around w/the bass boost, gain & warm switches, & lo & behold: nice breakup! I like it cleam w/my Stambaughs, but I'm thinking punching the gain up will suit my Fender J a bit better(it's a bit too clear-sounding as is). So far, the nicest amp I've owned.:hyper:

8. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    Just want to add to this thread. I just got done racking my WT-405, with my Carvin DCM1000. The Eden has absolutely fantastic sound. The best I've found short of tubes. Just can't justify all that weight, and re-tubing, and re-biasing stuff. Gets way too spendy. The WT-405 as a preamp to the Carvin is awesome. Just a word to the wise though. Don't use the preamp out jack in the back. It has way too low an output. You have to use the headphone jack, in the front, as your preamp out. Which is kind of rotten, because you have to string a patch cord from the front of the rack to the rear, but man, does it crank. I'm going to get another DCM600, and back it down a bit. Makes a fantatic preamp, and can still be used as the power head for smaller gigs. I think my search for the good sound, without tubes is now over. Love it!

9. sedan_dad

sedan_dad Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    Alot of my friends use Eden's and they love them.
    I think you'll be quite happy.
    Sounds like your safe on the price you paid also.
    Good for you.

10. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Great sounding rig...CONGRATULATIONS!!!
    Super light and warm sounding.....yes please

11. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Congrats on the 405! I ALMOST just bought one, but went for the WT550 instead, based pretty much only on the fact that it is a WT400 with souped up power, and I already knew that I loved the WT400 sound, having formerly owned one.