Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just bought an Essex J-Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bearcubs9497, Sep 27, 2005.

1. Just laid out $140 for this: http://www.rondomusic.net/sjb62mglpb.html

I've been wanting some sort of Jazz Bass, but did not want to lay out a ton of cash. Would this be comparable to, or better than, an MIM Jazz?

2. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I don't know the answer to your question but considering the price to quality ratio you got, does it matter?

Love my SX. It's my slapper. :bassist:

3. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    You have hit on an ongoing argument. It might be as good. It is likely that you will have to replace the pickups if you want it to be better than a MIM. The bodies and necks of SX instruments are good, and the bridges and tuners are usually of MIM fender quality. Sometimes the SX electronics are poor, but some folks say they are just fine. No matter what you decide to upgrade or not to, you definatley bought the best bass for 140 bucks.

4. I've got a Samick Greg Bennett Fairlane that, at $189, is pretty darn good. I just didn't think that a better bass could be out there for less than that.

Just to let you know, my Fairlane, IMO, is better than any MIM Jazz I've played.

So, if the SX is equal to my Fairlane, then I will, indeed, be a very happy camper.

If I replace the pups, I'd go with SD Hot for Jazz.

5. mwm70

mwm70

Oct 27, 2004
    Baltimore
    I just ordered a black sjb-62 last night to be used for alternate tuning. I hope I get a good one.

6. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Most are good.

Anyways, my QMD was nothing short of awesome - only gripe about it was that after a few months the lacquer on the neck was drivin me ntus, so I sanded that...came in perfect setup, good strings....:D

7. FatherFunk

FatherFunk

Sep 25, 2005
    I actually plan on buying that, or the CT in a few days. Let me know how it turns out for you.

8. As soon as I get it, I'll post my first impressions to this thread.

9. Got my bass last night.

First impression is that this is the best $140 I've ever spent on an instrument.

Only things I needed to do were to tweak the truss rod a bit and fiddle around with saddle height to bring the action to where I wanted it.

Bottom line is, I'd buy another.