1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

just bought an ipod, i've got some questions

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jiant., Feb 18, 2008.

1. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    i just picked up an ipod yesterday, as my old mp3 player didn't have enough space for my music anymore. i got one of the 80 gig classics, and i just have a few questions about it. for one, i've put all the music from my laptop on it, but now that i've synced it to my laptop itunes, i can't put my music from my desktop itunes (a few cds are on there that i no longer have), is there any way to get around this? also, when i added some songs on there, they had two artists, so the songs didn't save under the same album. i went through itunes and edited the song info so that only the main artist was shown, and now i want to know how i can delete those songs off the ipod so i can put the correct versions of them on there. thanks! -brad

2. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    I'm not a really a fan of iTunes or the iPod I've got. You mention some of the reasons why I don't like it too much....

3. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    i know there's ways around this stuff because i've heard about them before, i just don't remember how to do it

4. TallLankyBastyd

TallLankyBastyd

Jan 31, 2007
    Seattle
    iPud drives me up the friggin wall. You can only sync with one computer and it takes special software to get tunes from your iPud to iLooneyTunes on the computer... and even that "special" software fails to always bring ALL the tunes.

I've also got a Zune... last week I went to load a couple new CDs on it and got a message that there was a new software update to the Zune... I uploaded... then ALL my music information (song title, record, artist, etc) was all scrambled... I'd select an album and it would have tracks from all sorts of different OTHER albums... it was a friggin mess!! I was finally able to find and upload the Zune "fix" and everything SEEMS to be alright now but...

...AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!! :spit:

end of rant

5. None of this is hard to do. For deleting the songs, plug your ipod into your computer. Once it comes up in itunes, click on where it says music under your ipod. Then find the songs that you want to delete, highlight, right click, delete.

I didn't understand the first part of your question, are there songs on you ipod that you want on your desktop? Or are there songs on your desktop that aren't in your itunes?

Also, don't have it set to auto-sync. If you have that and delete music off your computer, it will delete it off your ipod the next time you plug your ipod in.

lowsound

6. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    i've got songs on my desktop computer's itunes that i want on my ipod, but it's synced to my laptop's itunes. is there any way to get songs on my ipod from my desktop's itunes without deleting what's already on there?

7. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    iPod is linked to one library. You need to add the songs to the laptop library. Just drag them out of the iTunes music folder onto a CDR.

To get the albums with guest artists to appear as one, you can set "album artist".

When you sync, the iPod will add/update/delete to match the iTunes automatically.

Ian

8. I still don't understand why people have such a hard time with iTunes. One of its greatest strengths, imo, is its intuitive interface.... :meh:

Wow. iPud. Neat-o.

9. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    If you're on a mac, get Senuti, so you can upload files from your ipod to your computer. If you're not on a mac then I don't know what the PC equivalent is.

10. Maki, does Senuti interface at all with the firmware on the iPod? Is Apple militant about that kind of thing with iPods like they are with iPhones, they wouldn't "brick" them, would they?

I mean I don't blame them for bricking iPhones that were hacked but still....

11. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    What do you mean? Like can you see/change the folders on the iPod and stuff? You know I wouldn't know. I've only used it for uploading music from machine to machine or from other ipods. For everything else, I use iTunes. It works pretty close to iTunes though as far as naming files and all that. It's a bit buggy compared to iTunes though.

EDIT. I just checked. Yes it does. I can see all the folders and I can change them as well. I can also see the library and folders from iTunes too.

12. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    The ITunes crap is one of the reasons why I never wanted to get an actual Ipod. Plus I heard you can't use your illegal Mp3s on the Ipod, which is stupid.

13. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Yeah you can. :ninja::bag:

14. You heard wrong.

15. Ok, here is what you do. Plug your ipod into your laptop, open itunes, click on your ipod, then click on the music tab. There should be a spot that says "auto sync music" or something like that. Uncheck that, then eject your ipod from your laptop, plug it into your desktop and you can put all the music from your desktop onto your ipod as well. You have to manually update your ipod with new music, but your computer also wont ever delete music from your ipod without telling you. Also, if you "brick" your ipod, it isn't hard to unbrick. If that ever happens (which is shouldn't, unless you are really stupid), download ibricker and run that. Unbricked, but it will also be reformatted. It is a lot harder to brick an ipod/iphone than people make it out to be. I hacked my ipod touch and I am stupid when it comes to computers. Didn't brick and works great.

You can play illegally downloaded music on your ipod. I don't understand everyones problems with itunes, it is the single easiest music playing program to use that I have ever seen in my life. There is only one thing that I don't like about it, and that is if you have your ipod formatted for a mac, you can't put stuff onto it from a PC, but it works the other way.

lowsound

16. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    On my iPod and iTunes, I can sort my tunes after genre, artist or album. The problem is I want to sort after 'album artist', not 'artist'. Is there a way to change this? I haven't found out how to do it.

I once accidentally deleted everything on my iPod when I unchecked the auto sync function and pressed ok. It took me a few hours to get everything copied onto it again... :meh:

When I rip a CD or download some tracks into my library, iTunes never seem to add them to the iTunes library unless I buy the tracks from iTunes. I must always manually add the same music folder if I want it to include recently added tracks. WMP 10 works totally automatically in this sense. (Btw, WMP 11 sucks, 10 is much better).

17. Take it back and get a player that functions purely as a hard disk.

I've never understood the point of "Ipods". If you get a player that functions purely as a hard disk, you will never have any problems, ever. And you won't have to use ITunes either, which is a terrible application on the PC (works perfectly on a Mac, however).

I'd recomend iAudios if you can still take it back. I'm not sure if they do 80 gig models, however.

18. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    I thought the iPod would function like that when I bought it. I wasn't too happy when Ifound out it that wasn't the case. I'm not going to switch soon anyway, that would only mean I spend more money and I don't need it that badly. I've also bought an alarm clock with an iPod docking station and installed a harman kardon drive+play system in my car. Changing to something else would mean I have no use for these anymore. I guess I have to cope with it...:meh:

19. why dont you put it in disk mode, copy the files from your desktop, disconnect and transfer them to your laptop?

20. +1. I gots an iAudio, and I love it. It's a tad bulkier than the iPud, but it's worth it, IMO.