just bought my 2nd Fender bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by patrickj, Dec 7, 2004.

1. patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    No pics yet (I'm still at work - I just happened to be in the shop getting quotes for work gear (PA stuff))...

It's a 5 string Pbass Deluxe (2+3 P pickup + the stacked looking J pickups), but it also has 4+1 tuning machines. Color is 44 Shoreline Gold (from the Fender color chart) with a wild pearlish pickguard. I've never seen a 5 deluxe with this tuner arrangement before. It had a great P thumpy sound and a pretty good J sound. I didn't do much experimenting with combinations of pickups, but I figure if the two pickups sound good seperately, there's a lot you can do with them combined.

What kind of mods can I do for this thing? Anyone know of any Basslines pickups that will fit this - specifically the 2+3 P config? Preamps / bridge upgrades?
  2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    You just bought the thing and you want to mod it already? :scowl:
  3. exactumally. Leave it alone for a while...you already said it has some great sounds...why not use them?
  4. patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    I've never had a bass before where I haven't upgraded/changed something on it.. (this is also my first 'real' (> $1k) bass) so perhaps my standards have to upgrade instead.