Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

just bought my 2nd Fender bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by patrickj, Dec 7, 2004.

1. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    No pics yet (I'm still at work - I just happened to be in the shop getting quotes for work gear (PA stuff))...

It's a 5 string Pbass Deluxe (2+3 P pickup + the stacked looking J pickups), but it also has 4+1 tuning machines. Color is 44 Shoreline Gold (from the Fender color chart) with a wild pearlish pickguard. I've never seen a 5 deluxe with this tuner arrangement before. It had a great P thumpy sound and a pretty good J sound. I didn't do much experimenting with combinations of pickups, but I figure if the two pickups sound good seperately, there's a lot you can do with them combined.

What kind of mods can I do for this thing? Anyone know of any Basslines pickups that will fit this - specifically the 2+3 P config? Preamps / bridge upgrades?

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    You just bought the thing and you want to mod it already? :scowl:

3. exactumally. Leave it alone for a while...you already said it has some great sounds...why not use them?

4. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    I've never had a bass before where I haven't upgraded/changed something on it.. (this is also my first 'real' (> $1k) bass) so perhaps my standards have to upgrade instead.