Just bought my 6th TC Polytune pedal. I have a sickness.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mmbongo, May 9, 2017.

1. mmbongo

mmbongo I have too many basses. Supporting Member

Polytune #6 is on the way! This is the new Polytune 3 with the built in Bonafide buffer. It's not a mini-pedal but it solves two problems for me. First, I like to tune on the fly which means my tuner stays on all the time. This also means I have to have some sort of splitter pedal or dual output pedal to feed it a constant signal. And it also means I have to have a seperate mute pedal. So the Polytune 3 fixes both of those. I can get rid of my dual output pedal, and get rid of my mute pedal. Nice!

I bought the original Polytune when it first came out. It destroyed every other tuner pedal out there and I fell in love with it.

Bought a Polytune 2 when they came out for the better display.

Bought a Polytune Noir because it's black, and small. I do also have a mini pedalboard :)

Bought a Polytune Pitchblack, because. Its different.

Traded for a Polytune Noir 2 for the better display in a mini pedal.

Bought a Polytune 3 today. Like I said, it will replace 2 pedals (3 if you count the Polytune Noir2 I use now) and I can move that Noir2 to my mini board.

TC should sponsor me!

If they come out with a mini Polytune 3, I'll be first in line for my mini board!

ccouch7 and Bassed in NZ like this.
  2. PhinDog

PhinDog Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2021
    Park City, Utah
    I know this is an old post, hoping to ask a question about these tuners. Between the poly two and the poly three, does the poly three still track for bass even without a dedicated bass mode? I like the poly three for the buffering aspect and I’m looking at a good deal on a mini. Thx!!

3. RJ

RJ Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2000
    San Francisco
    IME it tracks just fine.

PhinDog likes this.
  4. Inara

Inara Fierce Fun Fretless Female Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2017
    Seattle, WA USA
    I use the 3 mini, mostly in strobe mode, and it tracks perfectly

PhinDog likes this.
  5. PhinDog

Mar 12, 2021
    Park City, Utah
    Pretty quick? I have an older boss Tu-2 tunes great but slow to react and the visual looks smaller that the TC as well.
    Thanks.

6. Inara

Inara Fierce Fun Fretless Female Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2017
    Seattle, WA USA
    Super quick, way faster than the old tu2 I had, as well as being more accurate.

7. mmbongo

mmbongo I have too many basses. Supporting Member

You'll never have to suffer through using a Boss tuner again. Let’s just say that.

Inara and PhinDog like this.
  8. PhinDog

Mar 12, 2021
    Park City, Utah
    Polytune 3 mini purchased! Thanks for the feedback all!!!

Inara likes this.
  9. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    TC tuners come with their buffer. don't they? is that buffer any good?
    I've been thinking about getting a buffer for a long time...

10. Aloe

Aloe

Apr 10, 2016
    Ukraine
    3 comes with a buffer which you can turn on of off, earlier models don't.
    the buffer adds some highs and hi-mids, to some tastes the hi-mids might sound a bit synthetically, to some just very nice. if you've played a TC BH or BG amp, you're already familiar with this character.

11. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Hoe does the buffer add anything...a buffer should just avoid you losing stuff. No?
    If the buffer does stuff beyond being a buffer...not for me.

Thanks fopr the info tho!:)

12. Aloe

Aloe

Apr 10, 2016
    Ukraine
    not really. two factors here:
    1. different buffers have different input impedance and thus can sound very differently
    2. some buffers try to compensate for the 'lost' frequencies, amplifying them

I recall using a BonaFide with my archtop guitar and I swear that the sweet hi-mid I got was a TC sound, not the guitar's tone. it's been some years since then and I never heard this tone from this guitar again. in the time that happened though, I didn't mind that tone.

13. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Aahh...I was aware of '1.' and would expect that, hoping for a really high input impedance( I have 3 meg on a preamp i have)and a very low output impedance...(right?)
    I was unaware of '2.' and would run from anybuffer doing that. run quick i would( and I have a strict policy of not doing anything remotely resembling sports)...

Thank you for this info!
    will write to TC now in the hope to find out for sure. :)
    ;)

14. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    I don't know if a PT will track a low B in guitar mode, but It will do a 4 string bass in non bass mode. I haven't experimented with this heavily. The reason I know is that I got my original PT tuner years and years ago and just plugged it in as started using it. I stumbled upon the setting for bass when I breezed thru the instruction book prior to storing the box and what-not that came with the pedal. - I try to keep all that comes with gear that I buy in case I want to sell it later... I'm not sure if it works better or not in bass mode, but I own a bass and use it for bass, so...

At any rate, PT gets my vote for a great tuner, I own 2 of them.