Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just bought my first custom bass :)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jeffrey A-Bomb, Feb 9, 2004.

1. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    Well, some of you may of seen the auction for the bass on ebay, but I won the auction for a CJ custom headless bass. Here's part of the auction description:

THIS IS AN ORIGINAL CUSTOM MADE BASS BY CJ BASSES. SOLID WALNUT BODY, 15 PIECE LAMINATED MAPLE NECK, 1 BARTOLINI MMC, 1 KENT ARMSTRONG MM PICKUP, STATUS HEADLESS HARDWARE, PASSIVE ELECTRONICS, VOLUME-VOLUME-TONE-TONE, PLUS 3-WAY PICKUP SELECTOR FOR THE NECK PICKUP.THIS BASS IS IN PRIME CONDITION.

Here's a pic from his website (he may be a member here ;) ):

[​IMG]

I'll give a rundown once I receive it, but I think it's very unique looking and has an interesting electronics combination.

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    congrats - that's very different looking, be sure to fill us in on how it plays and sounds.

3. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    Yeah, I'll be sure to do that. I've never played a headless bass before, but I hear that their balance is perfect. I also think it looks cool, in a unique sorta way, and that it should be fun to play. He said it's been used for the last 2 years and has passed all tests and playing conditions, sorta calling it the official cjbasses bass hehe.. So I'm feeling confident about it's playability and construction. I really dig the body shape and longer upper horn as well.

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    That is a sweet bass!

:bassist:

Peace
    Nick

5. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    A few more pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Wow, thats really really really nice.

If you dont mind us asking, how much did that cost you?

Peace
    Nick

7. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD

I got it for $750 :)

8. Great deal. It looks sweet:)

9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Sweet deal!

Peace
    Nick

10. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Very nice! Congrats!

11. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL

I like the knob arrangement. It reminds me of a T40 (and I like T40s). Cool!

12. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    Hey, I got the bass today and was able to check it out for an hour or so during lunch break ;) It sounds AWESOME and exceeds all of my expectations. Intonation, Fretwork, and Construction are all perfect. The solid walnut body and dual mm style pickups give a really sweet tone. Direct, the sound is VERY close to les' carl thompson 4 direct. There is absolutely no noise and the shielding job is top notch. Has a really cool fingerstyle and slap/pop/strum/tap tone with flexibility from the 3 way neck pickup switch. The tone is woody, deep, and very cool w/ chords. :bassist: :bassist: I'll post a few sound clips eventually, the uneq'd sound is perfect so i'll just record direct.

13. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    Congrats,

it looks somewhat like my teachers uber-bass - if it`s half as good, then you should be in heaven every time you pluck an open e :)

Good basses make bass players play better.

14. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Cool looking headless. I'm looking to get a headless 5er myself, hopefully sooner than later.

15. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Thumper,
    Have you checked out the David King basses? A friend of mine had one and it was incredible.

16. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    JD, not in the flesh. I've read good things though.

17. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    Hey, I'm close to purchasing my first house and may be needing extra money for moving expenses, down payment, etc :) There's no guarantee that I'll sell it, but would anyone be interested in buying this bass if I did? I may be selling some other stuff as well to clear out some of the inventory :p I'd be asking somewhere in the $600 +shipping range, so if anyone's interested, let me know. :bassist: If not, oh well, the bass is awesome :)

18. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Did you sell the Spector Q5 yet?

19. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    It's sorta on hold now (waiting for a local person to pay), but I'm starting to lose faith that he will. So if he doesn't pay within a few days, it'll be back on here :)

20. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I see. Id be inerested if its still around when i find someone to buy my Hohner.