Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

just bought my first rush cd

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Fliptrique, Feb 22, 2003.

1. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    And I`m beggining to understand why so many folks around here find Les a bit overrated. ;) I think I`ll become a geddy lee freak for some time, this guy plays MUSIC. Yeah, real MUSIC.

Thanks guys, I`ve read about him over here, Rush is rather unknown in Poland.

BTW - I`ve bought the latest one - vapor trails, what other CDs would you recomend?

2. definitely get moving pictures. it is AMAZING. roll the bones is good, and 2112 is pretty cool too. they're all great, but i think moving pictures is a must-have.

3. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Geddy can do so much great stuff just with roots and 5ths alone. My favorite Geddy line of all time though has to be "Time Stand Still". He just plays so busy in a tune that a lot of players would just play root notes in.

.....And I'm one of those people who think Les Claypool is way overrated. :p

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Having only the newest one... I'd recommend you check out the latest Live release "Different Stages" 3 disks that span their catalog of tunes pretty well (thou it has some weak vocal moments).

My first purchase was "Exit... Stage Left" on vinyl in 1981, so I've got a soft spot for live Rush.

if'n you want a studio disk... I'd say 'Moving Pictures' is a must have! It is the anthem album of my coming of age.

My favorite Geddy line is 'Show don't tell' so I'll put a vote in for 'Presto' too

5. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    For lyrics-2112
    For really kickin Basslines-Signals
    For a more Led Zepplin vibe-'Rush' or Fly by Night
    For a more 'new rock' type of sound-Vapor Trails
    For good live music-Exit...Stage Left
    For good live music but costs a little more-Different Stages

6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Permanent Waves, & Hemispheres are 2 great ones that weren't mentiones. The Self titled debut is great, Very Zepplenesque. Man, just get em all!!!! :)

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    another vote for moving pictures. that's the album that made me a bass player.

power windows is also a great album, as is hold your fire, for bass playing.

i really love farewell to kings, hemispheres, permanent waves and moving pictures - that was their most "proggy" era imo, and it r0x0r3d! :D

8. way_of_opiatism

way_of_opiatism 28d, 6h, 42m, 12 seconds

Feb 5, 2003
    Cobb!
    my favorite rush albums:
    1. moving pictures
    2. permanent waves
    3. farewell to kings
    4. hemispheres
    5. 2112

yeah its all the old school rush, but not the really old school rush like the first album which is not really very rush like and doesnt have neil. i dont have anything counterparts and beyond. theyre really an amazing group of guys and none of them could be replaced, and theyve maintained a great limelight presence while not becoming total "sellouts".

moving pictures is on my top 5 essential cds to own, amongst sabbaths' s/t, godspeed you black emperor's lift your skinny fists, fugazi's 13 songs, and mogwai's young team.

9. Caeros

Caeros

Jul 24, 2002
    Branford, CT
    I'd also reccomend Grace Under Pressure, that one has some really awesome songwriting.

10. I have Permanent Waves and Retrospective ('74-'80) and I love em. That, I have heard was their best era, and I would agree.

11. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    Oh, by the way, don't let that be your last Rush cd.

12. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    My favorite Rush Era:"A Farewell to Kings" to "Hold your Fire". Least Favorite:The first three albums.

13. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Just pick-up anything by Rush, it's all good.

Theres quite a larger selection to choose from.

14. way_of_opiatism

way_of_opiatism 28d, 6h, 42m, 12 seconds

Feb 5, 2003
    Cobb!
    dont pick up the first one though its awful, i think its self titled. its only for extreme rush junkies that have everything else.

15. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I'd modify this to say pick up anything from Signals or earlier. IMHO they got a little too synthed after Signals.

Exit Stage Left
    Moving Pictures
    Permanent Waves are my faves.

16. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i can see how many folks would think that, but there's no denying that there's some kick butt bass on hold your fire and power windows. his active wal bass tone is awesome.

17. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA

I strongly agree, there is some great bass lines on Power Windows and Hold Your Fire.

I also like Grace Under Pressure.

18. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    thanks guys, I`ve ordered some cd`s -they`re cheap (you know, 80 stuff, who would listen to in anyway...) so I`m going to become a Rush master within 5 or 6 months:)

19. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Finally!

He's one of us now.

20. If you have no Rush, I would recommend Spirit of Radio. You can't go wrong with a Greatest Hits type compilation. But Moving Pictures is my recommendation if you don't want a greatest hits set. 2112 is a classic as well.