Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

just bought my kustom groove 1200 and avatar b12!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Longolian, May 26, 2005.

1. Longolian

Longolian

May 21, 2005
    im so excited! the head came yesterday.. 569 off ebay. its sooo pretty.. and heavy... and pretty. i wish I would plug it into something. ha.

the cab should be coming in tomorrow. dave was cool like everyone says.can't wait until i can try out my new toys!

2. hondo8671

hondo8671

Apr 22, 2004
    trust me you will like it. ive had mine for about 2 months!im playing mine thru a Traynor 1510 cab and it JAMS!!!!!!! you wont believe all the tones you can get out of it!

p.s i need a 2 space rack case!!!!! :(

fender american series jazz 4
    Kustom groove 1200 amp
    traynor ybx1510 cab

3. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    Is the 2 space rack for your Kustom amp? If so and it is like 19" or 20" 's deep, I got an inexpensive 2 spacer at Rondomusic.com. I needed a deep rack case for my GBE 600 and the SKB and Gators were rather pricey when I shopped the online stores. This one I got has like 21" of usable inside space, front and back threaded rails and the front and back covers are about 1 1/2" deep. It is CNB brand, probably not high end but it works fine and the hard plastic it is made of feels like it can protect your amp well. The other day mine was standing on its side as I backed my car up and it fell over, wasn't a big fall but concerned me. Plugged the amp in right away and it works fine. But do be careful standing this rack case on its side, even on flat surfaces, it is tall and can tip over easy. I always try to lay it flat or lean it against something when it is not on top of my cabs.

4. That'S about my dream-rig.

Can you post an extensive review once you tested it?

5. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

As soon as your cab comes, you will be in heaven. Please review the new rig for us!

6. Longolian

Longolian

May 21, 2005
    212 came in on friday.. im so happy with the new setup.

at first, I wasnt satisfied with the 750 w rating.. felt more like 500-600. i tweaked a little and ended up getting a lot more juice out of it. its so ****ing loud - theres nothing left on my walls anymore. also, the first tiem I sat down with it it sounded like soemthing was shorting out and a couple times it just stopped playing. hasnt happened since though.

the lows sound amazing - very punchy. and the mids definately have growl. the highs, im still trying to find the perfect sound for. its either painfully bright or really dull sounding. im sure itll take a couple seconds to fix, and I should be happy with either slapping highs or finger highs but i dont want to have to adjust in the middle of my set. i think i haev my tweeter set at 10 oclock or so and I cant really hear it unless the gain and master volume are set on 10. WHICH btw, the kustom groove can handle without any clipping. THIS is where Im happiest. My bassman 400 and behringer (god) setup, the **** was clipping at like 5 on mv and gain and it was really frustrating and constricting. this amp doesnt let up.

you can really color the hell out of your tone any way you want with the kustom groove. i dont think the switches above the bass mid and high knobs do anything...ill still have to play with that portion of the amp, but thats about it.

and back to the cab - the lows have that punch thatll give you that warm feeling inside. the highs are still quetsionable though. im probably gonna do the mod when I have enough money, and then im probably gonna buy a 210 to put on top. or actually, maybe ill just skip the mod seeing as my 10's will be taking care of that.

anyways, 10's on both.. oh, BUT the amp didnt come with the casters i ordered. maybe i havent found them yet, or maybe they just didnt come. this is gonna be a bitch to move around.

7. Cool, Cool! Sounds like an awesome set up you got going on there... I love the Avatar B212 which is wat I am modeling my home made cab off if I go a 2X12"- as Avatar isnt available here YET !

Can I trouble you for a picture or two? :bassist:

8. Longolian

Longolian

May 21, 2005
    yea ill bring it in tomorrow and get some webcam shots...

btw (to anyone), im not really familiar with using 2 cabs... do you have to do something to make 1 cab play the highs and one play the lows or does it work itself out?

and, what do you guys think i should do about the setup's addition? i want the 210... should i hold off on the 212 mod and get it done on the 210?

9. Quadzilla

As far as sending the low signals to one cab and the highs to another, no it cannot be done on this head. I had a head that could do it (had a built in crossover) a Hartke HA7000, but I tell ya, there is no comparo with the two tone-wise, the Kustom eats it for lunch!

I have a Avatar 1x12 and 2x10 hookup right now and it rocks. THe 12 handles the lows and the 10's are very punchy.

10. Longolian

Longolian

May 21, 2005
    what do you suggest i do from here? i really want to utilize all 1200 wants in a manifest destiny kind of way. should get a bigger single speaker or a couple of tens? what should I get modded? i played my first practice yesterday and the tweeter was pretty harsh at times.

11. Quadzilla

I have my tweeters set down almost at 0 on both of my cabs (prob like on 1 or 2 on a scale of 1 - 10). As far as getting maximum watts out of the head, you will need two 4 ohm cabs to achieve that. I'm running two 8 ohm cabs right now and it's plenty loud (2 x 8 ohms = 4 ohms which = 800 watts). If your 2x12 is a 4 ohm setup, just get another 4 ohm cab and you will be running at 2 ohms which = 1200 watts on the Kustom. If you have a 8 ohm cab, just get a 4 ohm cab and you will be running it at 2.67 ohms which will prob put you in the 1000 watt range. Even at 800 watts, my setup is VERY loud...

12. Quadzilla

I'd say add a 2x10. You will get the lows from the 2x12 and the 2x10 will add punch and mid-range...

13. Longolian

Longolian

May 21, 2005
    i guess that was what i was asking... what i should get next. do you think i should just forget the mods and keep it at 1? its at about 9 oclock right now

14. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I can't speak about the cross over mod as i haven't done it. The 2X12 + 2X10 idea...that was my "big" rig for awhile. Has great tone and to my ears sounds amazing while being able to get louder than i needed it to [i was running it at 2.67 [4 ohm 2X12 + 8 ohm 2X10]. These cabs worked amazingly for me and if i could have my rig in college i would :bawl:

15. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    I'm using a Kustom Groovebass, and Avatar 112, and a tweaked Avatar Neo 210 copy I just finished building. Plain and simply, it rocks, but if you're into highs (I'm not), I'd suggest getting that crossover mod done; Your tweeter will cover a fuller range and sound better doing it, allowing you to turn the tweeter control to near-full with less distortion than you're getting now.

the middle section of the face is a Graphic EQ the numbers along the bottom tell you what frequency each band is centered on, and you slide the knob up or down to boost/cut these individual frequencies. [Note: I don't like to boost on these bands, they don't sound as good as boosting with the three knobs on the left, so I use the graphic eq ONLY for cutting frequencies. I'll give you an idea of what the different frequencies correspond to, with some specific info for the Groovebass.

('flat' means the slider is centered in the middle)
    30hz - Low low bass you feel much more than hear. I've found that this is a very wide band on this amp, even though the next increment is 50hz. I'd say either leave this flat with your 212, or cut it by 2-3db.
    50hz - Low bass - leave flat on the Graphic EQ and cut the first eq knob instead with the switch set to sub (it's centered on 50hz too, and sounds better). You'll want to cut around this 50hz frequency to taste when playing live.
    100hz - Punchier bass - Leave flat - this one actually sounds o.k. with a little boost
    200hz - Low Low Mid - Leave flat - I'd say it affects the 'strength' of your bass' sound
    400hz - Mid - Some like em, some don't, cut to taste (mine is flat).
    800hz - High Mid - Again, some like it middy. I leave this flat and Always boost from the mid knob to the left, but this band is another that sounds o.k. when boosted.
    1.6Khz - Clanky Highs - I've never wanted to boost here, this cuts in the region of fretnoise and buzzing, so it somewhat masks sloppy technique and electronic noise. I cut mine 3-6db.
    3.2Khz - Highs - Can be harsh, but no need to cut for signals with already pleasant highs.
    6.5Khz - High Highs - My cabs don't extend up this high, and I run it flat to slightly cut. You can boost the High Highs nicely with the 'High' knob to the left, with the switch set in the 'Define' position.

This is just something to use as a reference -- play with all of the switches and believe your ears! When you get to playing full tilt and live though, you'll probably want pretty mild EQ changes to cut through fully.

16. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    CONGRATULATIONS ON THE HEAD!!!!

The Kustom GrooveBass 1200 is a great unit...dollar for dollar the best all-around head out there. Welcome to the klub!

I also have one and using a 210 NEO while I wait for my 212 NEO for gigs, and I'm gonna steal a page out of Quad's and The Clap's book and have a 112 @ church and just transport the 210 back and forth to have different configuration possibilities.

17. ricosuave2093

ricosuave2093

Jun 9, 2005
    Oregon
    I see you all love this Kustom head and I am really close to getting one. Found a place to get a new one for $469 pre-tax. I'm just curious about reliability because I've read a few places where guys have had problems with it cutting out and stuff. Oh and I'm gonna pair it with the AVATAR B410 Pro 4ohm model then later get either another ten or the 212 4ohm.If you could tell me how long and often you use it and if you've had problems that would be sweet.
    Thanks Guys

18. Quadzilla

Yeah, I've read of a total of two having issues on all of the bass forums I go to. One just stopped working and the other had an issue where it would cut out after a while and then come back on (never heard what became of that). You will find a certain percentage of amps with issues with no matter what amp you look at. It's just a fact of manufacturing, there is no perfect amp with no issues. You will see about the same percentage of failures from Mesa, SWR, GK, etc.

The rest of us Kustom owners on this and other forums are happy and use and gig ours quite a bit with no issues. I was the first to get one on this forum (back in Feb or earlier I believe) and mine is still going very strong and I've yet to have a single issue. It still looks new cosmetically as well... In an yevent, good luck with whatever you decide!

19. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I agree with Quad......this is a very durable head with killer looks and tone. We just had a Pastor's Anniversary @ my church all this week and several choirs came for service. I could tell that some of 'em were gonna check out this head by the looks on their faces when they played thru it for their choirs......green, yeah, my favorite color :D

20. ricosuave2093

ricosuave2093

Jun 9, 2005
    Oregon
    I'm sure it will be over kill for me but more is better right? I think I will end up running a Avatar B410Pro to start then add a B212 or an old but good TOA 15" PA sub that I could get for free either way my wife is going to hate me. Thanks for all your help in my decision. Now if I could only play worth a sh*t but at least it will be loud :bassist: :D