Just Bought My Second Bass!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rockapede, Sep 13, 2002.

1. I know this is probably nothing to most of you guys, but I'm really stoked. After playing a Squier affinity p-bass for 3 years (it started having durability issues) I decided to move up in the world. I heard some really good reccomendations for the Dean Edge series basses so I bought a dean Edge five. My question is, how much different will a five be from a four string (as far as how it's played)?

2. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    I would advise you only to get a 5 if you really have a use for the extra b string. The neck will be wider, and string spacing may be a bit tight (especially after a squier p-bass) . my advice:if it seems hard going, stick to 4. 99% of cool basslines are played on the humble 4 string!

Having said that, im just bitter cos I cant afford any more basses...

The dean series look pretty nice, im sure it wont suffer the usual 'budget 5 string' gripes.

Also try tuning it E, A, D, G, C
    instead of B, E, A, D, G
  3. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    The two uses of the extended range are to go low and to be able to play 'normal' basslines higher up the neck. 2 octave scales are 'easier' etc. More strings enables more chordal posssibilities.

String spacing can get tight. If you want and can afford a 5 then play it to the exclussion of all else for a while. I rotate my 4 and 5. I'm in a 5 mood at the moment.
  4. Congrats on the new bass, any pics?