Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just Bought My Second Bass!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rockapede, Sep 13, 2002.

1. I know this is probably nothing to most of you guys, but I'm really stoked. After playing a Squier affinity p-bass for 3 years (it started having durability issues) I decided to move up in the world. I heard some really good reccomendations for the Dean Edge series basses so I bought a dean Edge five. My question is, how much different will a five be from a four string (as far as how it's played)?

-rocka-

2. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    I would advise you only to get a 5 if you really have a use for the extra b string. The neck will be wider, and string spacing may be a bit tight (especially after a squier p-bass) . my advice:if it seems hard going, stick to 4. 99% of cool basslines are played on the humble 4 string!

Having said that, im just bitter cos I cant afford any more basses...

The dean series look pretty nice, im sure it wont suffer the usual 'budget 5 string' gripes.

Also try tuning it E, A, D, G, C
    instead of B, E, A, D, G

3. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    The two uses of the extended range are to go low and to be able to play 'normal' basslines higher up the neck. 2 octave scales are 'easier' etc. More strings enables more chordal posssibilities.

String spacing can get tight. If you want and can afford a 5 then play it to the exclussion of all else for a while. I rotate my 4 and 5. I'm in a 5 mood at the moment.

4. Congrats on the new bass, any pics?