Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just bought the Behringer rack tuner home

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Danm, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Danm

Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    Got a little extra money this payday so I splurged on myself...

Got a Gator 4U case and a Behringer rack tuner ( BTR2000 I think it is ) for my Eden WT550 for $290 Aussie Bux.

Racked her all up this arvo and she looks nice.. Doesn't effect the sound and has a nice little row of downlights to light up the rest of my rack....

Nice price too $115 I think I paid...

2 Gigs this weekend.... We'll see how she performs..

Cheers,

Dan

2. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Sweet! Looking very neat and orderly. How is the tuner, anyway?

3. Danm

Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    It tunes!!!!!!!!!

Checked it against 2 or 3 other tuners I had laying around.... Seems accurate....

I just wanted the rack lights ( they're underneath, the bottom lip protrudes ) and the mute function for silent tuning.. So far so good...

As long as it doesn't crap out after a week I'll be stoked....

Now where to put the Behringer sticker that I got with it so no-one can see it LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    May I recommend on your car? Under the transmission tunnel, on top of the driveshaft seems to be a good enough place...;) ...or on top of your gas tank...:D

5. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Could you compare its quickness in response to other rack tuners? Thx.

6. Danm

Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    Sorry but this is my 1st rack tuner.......

The speed seems comparable to my Boss TU2 (which was stolen, thus the new foray into rack building )..

It doesn't seem slow to my eye's....... No different to any other guitar tuner I've seen....

Sorry I couldn't be of more help...

7. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Dan, do you happen to know if it handles a low B? How about a low F# below low B?

8. Danm

Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    I have a D-tuner on my E string which I set at D an that's fine...

The manual says the Bass preset will handle 6 string Basses...

The Chromatic mode handles everything as far as I can tell...

WOW... Low F#!!!!!!!!!!! That's cone rattling low aint it????

9. Danm

Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    Oooops.... Sorry.. Missed the sticky..

Could a mod pls move this to misc pls???

Thanks and apologies again..

Dan

10. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Behringer and Eden in the same rack?
    Just kidding. SS equipment seems to go out right away or last for ever so it should be fine. I don't know how much Korg goes for down there but that seems like a good price as long as they didn't cut corners. A Korg w/ lights over here is over $200.
    Good luck.

11. Danm

Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    That would be closer to $500-600 our money then!!!

12. didier

didier

Aug 4, 2005
    NC
    That has alot of features for the money! 2 channel, a metronome, built in mic, lights, pitch calibration, transposable....

It makes me think about swapping out the tuner I use now

13. You mean it's not called ULTRATUNER ?

:smug: nice score.

14. Danm

Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    I noticed that Too!!!!

Hehehehehehe

15. sublimate

sublimate

Jan 12, 2006
    A few questions:
    -How does the metronome sound?
    -Is it a click or a woodblock sound?
    -Does it emphasize the down beat and do other rhythms?
    -Is the tone out for tuning just an A? Or does it do the whole scale? How many octaves?
    -Can the rack lighting be controlled (dimmed, turned-off) or is it always on?
    -Could the lights could be pointed up instead of down (in my rack it would be at the bottom)?

Thanks

16. Danm

Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    Sorry, but I haven't had time to play with the metronome & the tone function as yet... I'll try to have a play with it on the weekend & report back...

The lighting can be switched on & off at will ( there's a button for it ).. But they are fixed into the lower lip of the unit which protrudes by about an inch.. It's 4 seperate lights.. The face of the unit is angled to account for this...

17. tolson36

tolson36

Oct 20, 2003
    New review-----

Just received the BTR2000 last night.

I first plugged it in outside of my rack and direct-connected my bass to the front input. Initially I was less then pleased because it seemed that the volume-level of my bass was not enough to register consistently with the tuner. I had to hit the strings pretty hard to get enough volume. Especially the E string. Because of the low volume problem--the note would decay rather quickly and this made it hard to get consistent results on the tuner. (wouldn't hold the note long enough to be sure it was accurate).

However, I decided to try it in my rack with the tuner-out of my SVP-Pro plugged into it. Now for some reason in this configuration--it has plenty of volume. I would have thought that the tuner-out of the SVP would be the same volume level as my raw bass input. The tuner out of the SVP must have some amplification in the electronics. This kind of surprised me (in a good way for this particular application)

So now for the rest of the story. Use the chromatic mode--not the bass mode so it will recognize any note played. By default--the scale of the lighted tuning LEDs is 5-cent per light--just like a lot of tuners. However, this unit has a "fine" option that switches it to 1-cent for each light.

In the default mode---I was able to achieve pretty consistent results (much better than the Fender rack tuner I have since returned). The reaction was very quick and the indicators are fairly stable. In the fine mode--it is slower in registering and quite a bit more jumpy. So my test--once I was familiar with the LED nuances to played notes etc----was to tune my bass guitar from scratch and then see how close I was to a needle tuner that I think is fairly accruate.

In the default mode by itself, I was able to tune very accurately and quickly. (even the low E was decent). I found that the supposedly more accurate "fine" setting was just too slow and jumpy to use on stage---plus the default setting was accurate enough.

In the default setting--if you get a fairly strong green light on the attack of the note---or if you get one that stays green--but both the left and right side lights flicker a little---you are very close to dead on. The reaction of the lights was very close to the reaction of the needle tuner. For example, my A string usually goes right to the tuned frequency and then drops slightly as it decays. This tuner mimiced that reaction.

Overall--the results were pretty consistent and I'm satisfied I can use this tuner on stage without going nuts.

The four rack lights should be nice, and the unit is not very deep (only 3" back from the rack rails) and so does not cover the five tube vent holes on my SVP.

It's got a permanent power cord (which I wish all stuff had)

It's got other functions (metronome etc) that I probably won't use much. I would love to see a rack tuner with lights like this being merged into a power conditioner unit.

Anyway--it's a keeper. I bought it at world music supply---not too many others have it in stock right now. Received it the day after I ordered it (DHL service). Shipping was a bit high at $8----for $59 plus shipping--this is a very good deal.

PS---on that initial volume problem I discussed--this may not be a problem for you. I use a passive bass (Fender Mustang) strung with TI Flats. The pickups on the Mustang are probably weaker than some others--such as a Pbass or a Jazz bass plus the flats may not sustain as long as some rounds. As a side note---I've had good results splitting the output of my compressor and actually tuning to a compressed signal. I suppose this is related to compression evening out the volume and improving sustain.

18. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Great review, thanks man. I'll most probably pick one of those, it's like half the price of the Korg DTR-1000 or 1/3 of DTR-2000... Just waiting for an A/B comparison in terms of speed and accuracy.

19. tolson36

tolson36

Oct 20, 2003
    thanks

I've always had issues with tuners playing short scale and flatwounds--especially the e string

I'm thinking if this worked as well as it did on mine it would probably work even better with long scale basses and rounds

I'll try to post a picture of it lighting up my rack

I wonder if I can replace the bulbs with colored lights?

20. Justice

Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    Just recieved my Behringer Rack tuner yesterday...i notice no problems tuning my bass, 6 string guitar or 12 string guitar. It has 11 tuner modes that cover chromatic, guitar, bass, baritone, banjo Uke and 5 different open tunings including DADGAD

I like it's response better than the Sabine i used to have.

I seems you can use it as an A/B box as well if you have 2 basses by switching the inputs with either the front panel switch or an external footswitch. It's also can be muted with a footswitch

The leds are nice and bright and its a very compact unit.