Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just bought this Ebay "old bass guitar"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pointbass, Nov 17, 2004.

1. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Once again I can use some opinions and guidance from the TB brain trust. I just bought this bass on Ebay from a guy who knows nothing about it other than it's an "old bass guitar". Couldn't get a serial # or any other info. Actually, he knows enough to know its "old" and therefore must be worth something. I paid $200 for it.

The picture is horrible, but it sure looks like a Fender Jazz, probably from the mid-60's right around the Fender/CBS transition period, likely a '66 or '67.

I have several concerns. The first big concern is that the bass has been beat to death and the neck is warped, split, or some other horror. But besides that, three issues;

#1 - What is up with that pick-up? Do any of you ever remember Fender putting a soap bar on a Jazz?

#2 - It doesn't seem that the headstock has any logo on it, based on the available picture views.

#3 - Even though it sure seems like a Fender, there is a possibility that it's something else.

I'll get this bass in the next few days and then I'll know more. I have been looking for a restoration project and I hope this will work out.

I can also use some recommendations for a good tech here in NJ. I know of a couple, but they're just "maintenance" guys and, if I'm lucky with this bass, I'm going to need someone more in the expert category to help with the neck and electronics.

As usual, I appreciate any input.

2. jellybass

jellybass Guest

Nov 8, 2004
    Without seeing it upclose, the pickup looks like a Gibson EBO pickup.

3. From the look of the headstock, it's a generic Japanese copy.

4. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    ...Well, at least I don't think it's a Fender. Besides having the wrong pickup, the ash tray is missing the "F", plus the headstock looks like it might have a trussrod cover. Most likely it's a mid-70's MIJ Jazz copy, possibly a Hondo or the like. I think Ibanez, Greco and Aria used authentic looking Jazz pickups, so I'm guessing it's not one of those.

5. pointbass

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Yeah, I thought the same thing about the cover. If it is a knock-off, it's darn close, right down to the placement and number of screws on the pick guard.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think this is a big misconception!!

I played loads of really awful basses in the 1970s, that must be classed as "old" by now and weren't worth anything!!

I paid £15 for a bass, then and it wasn't worth it!! ;)

7. pointbass

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    I totally agree with that, junk is junk no matter how you try to justify it.

Like I said in the original post, I've been trying to get an older bass that needs work and seeing if I can get it restored. My worst case scenario here is that I bought $200 worth of a hobby to fool around with in my wood shop.

8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    that looks like a nice early 70's Hondo/Univox/Whatever cheap Japanese nameplate Fender copy. Probably cost less than $100 when new. Those things are generally total crap, but some can have suprisingly nice tone. There's a great book out there called "Guitar Stories" which covers a lot of these types of things.

9. I'll admit, I've seen the same exact bass (pickup and all) hanging in two places: Chuck E. Cheeses & another at Applebees.

I don't say this to be crass, but moreso to point in the direction of what grade instrument it really is.

But you will never know if that is the case here until you have it in your hands.

10. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    to me the most crucial detail of a used bass is the neck. If there's any problem at all that's it for me.

11. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    That there bass looks terribly much like the old plywood bass we found tucked away in our church last summer. Plywood, yes, heavyer than any bass I've ever held, and the pickups were junk. Could probably be made playable again, though. Neck was OK, but the inlays and the binding was horrible.

I hope it's not one of those.

12. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

best guy I know in most of NJ is "The Guitar Guy" in Toms River. his name is Paul but is listed in the book as "the guitar guy"

13. brooklynbassguy

brooklynbassguy Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2004
    maplewood, nj, usa
    I'm almost certain that is a Penco, a early japanese guitar. My first bass was one. If it is, the neck isn't 34" scale, but I changed the neck, bridge, and bridge pickup on mine, and it sounded surprisingly fat. The body is some kind of asian mahogony. If you can get for 50 bucks, and have a little time on your hands...

14. brooklynbassguy

brooklynbassguy Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2004
    maplewood, nj, usa
    Oops, you paid $200 for it! Well, it's not going to be a collectable, but you might end up with a great sounding, funky bass...

15. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    I had an Electra about 15 years ago that looked like this bass, ashtrays, pickups, neck inlays and all. It wasn't plywood, but it was two slabs sandwiched together (front and back). It wasn't a horrible bass, but I only paid $75 for it. Impulsive pawn shop purchase.. At that time, I didn't really know what to look for in a bass, and was disappointed in a matter of hours. But I put a better neck (I had it laying around) on it, threw some Peavey Super-Ferrites and new pots in it, and felt better. I played it for a few months and gave it to a kid who needed a bass.

16. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I have an old early 70's plywood bass, but it's an Ibanez. I've been told that it's part of the lawsuit basses. It plays great and has a nice tone too!

I'm getting ready to sell a bass, but I'll never get rid of that one. It was my first bass, and I still play it from time to time live.

17. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Great find on the Goya Bob!

18. pointbass

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Man, nice catch there! Yeah, aside from the fret markers, which seem to be pearl-like on that mystery bass, that's a good candidate.

Amazing how many Fender copies there are .......

Maybe it should be a little contest, see who can actually guess the manufacturer before the bass arrives!

19. My useless and vast well of trivia has come to good use twice in one week here at TB!

Woot!

Post up how it sounds and plays when you get it. My brother gave me an Electra EB3 copy a few months ago(his 'payment' to me for giving him a place to stay when he transferred to Phoenix from California- that was a nice surprise!) and I really think it's great, cheap find. The bass, not my brother.

I've been window shopping 70s knock-offs since then and happened to have that Goya in my favorites file in Ebay.

Bob