Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just bought this Moon Jazz 5!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mike, Jan 12, 2003.

1. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    Seems like it's been here before. I played a Moon 5 before and dug it. I hope I get the same vibe from this. Pretty cool.

2. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    One more...

3. nice

i see a lotta knobs what are they?

whats the tone like?

4. Hman

Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Looks like Funky's sheet to me!!

5. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    The knobs are volume, which is a push/pull for running the pu's in series or parallel, then blend, bass, mid, treble. When I played one in the past, it was the cleanest and punchiest J I've ever played, and I'm usually not a fan of Fender style instruments. This could change my thinking. They were, or may still be, manufactured in Japan. Kinda Japan's Sadowsky, if that helps, made by a luthier whose Japanese name, of course, I can't remember. Mike Watt, TB pro, has a 4 if I remember correctly.

Yeah, I just searched. I think Funky Carnivore, as he is known, owned this once. Either that or the carpet/blanket, whatever it is, is very hot right now. :)

6. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Jer just sold that, and not that you didn't get a good price, but I think the seller made a small profit. Sounds like a killer bass if what Jerome said about it is true.

7. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    I paid $900 shipped. Not bad.

8. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    What I wanna know is what the HS looks like, and what the price range of such a beautiful instrument is.

Congrats.

Peace
    Nick

9. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I thought Sadowsky Tokyo was Japan's Sadowsky!
    :)

brad cook

10. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    That is a great looking bass!! I have seen used Moon Jazz basses before but this is one of the nicest looking that I have seen. $900.00 is a great price, I don't think that I have ever seen one that looks to be in such nice condition less than $1000.00. Tell us about the tone and the neck.

11. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    nvrmind... afaik that's what Jer sold for. Maybe what I heard is that your seller was asking higher... nevertheless, sweet bass, sweet price :D

12. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali

Well, yeah. But BEFORE there was Sadowsky Japan, my man, (insert name here) was whipping the Moon's out.

I'll post some comments on the tone and playability once I get it. I'm in NY. It's coming from Florida, should be here on Wed or Thu. I'll keep anyone who is interested updated.

13. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    Here ya go. I really don't know what they went for new. I really don't know a lot about them, other than I played one once and I think it may have been this one b/c it was owned by an internet acquantince who lives near me and had it up for sale. Anyway, I REALLY liked it. That's a rare statement for me. While I've been playing for about 18 yrs and have owned MANY basses, very few have REALLY impressed me. I hope it lives up to my self induced hype.

14. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    And the back of the HS.

15. Yep, I got it for 900 too (and yes, those are my sheets). Great deal. I have a blue Lakland 5 with the same electronics package and I thought the Moon had better cut. I just had more money in the Lakie so selling the Moon for what I paid was a better financial move for me. Excellent bass. I think the push/pull is actually for Duncan's "slap contour". Have fun with that bass!

16. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    It's confirmed. You suck.

What a beautiful instrument. Enjoy.

17. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    That Moon bass is very nice. Such a Good price also.. I am now Jealous... and I think I may hate you :)