1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Just broke a string.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by chrispunx, Aug 29, 2016.

1. chrispunx

chrispunx

Aug 11, 2010
    Utica, NY
    Bought a Fender MIM Jazz the other day. As part of my new(to me) purchase, I bought a fresh set of D'Addario NYXLs. Going through the stretching process and the D string snapped. Such heart break and disappointment.

2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

If it happens again, check the bridge & tuning machine for burrs.

chrispunx and AEVAREX like this.
  3. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Inactive Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    NYXL shouldn't need to be stretched.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  4. Arion

Arion

Jul 16, 2016
    Good joke.

5. Can you explain your "stretching process"? Where exactly did the string break?

6. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Inactive Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    D'Addario makes the core wire. It should be more stable than other core wires and shouldn't require "stretching" like other strings.

7. chrispunx

chrispunx

Aug 11, 2010
    Utica, NY
    I put the strings on. Once all are on, I tune to pitch. Then I fret at the 5th fret and pull up on the string for 5 seconds and return. Repeat on the other strings. Tune back to pitch and repeat till it stays close to pitch.

8. This is something I've learned NOT to do over the years. I normally change strings late at night so I can tune them to pitch and let them sit quietly overnight and stretch naturally. Then re-tune them in the morning.

quickfix likes this.
  9. chrispunx

chrispunx

Aug 11, 2010
    Utica, NY
    I had a friend do this and swear by it. It never seemed to work well for me.

This is the only time with the way I stretch the strings that I've ever had them break while stretching.

10. dannylectro

dannylectro Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    ...what everyone else said - and be sure you've got the winding right at the tuning peg. You don't want the string "crossing itself" i.e. you want it coming of the head clean, without coming across another winding.

11. Geri O

Geri O

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Never stretched strings. Just play the crap outta them when I put them on.

Oh, yeah, and set the witness points, even on the wraps around the tuner pegs. This really helps to settle in the tuning.

That and playing the crap outta them...:D

12. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    last time I broke a bass string was like 25+ years ago... (except intentionally snapping rusty old strings with wire cutter, only few months ago).

13. DavitWest

DavitWest

Aug 24, 2016
    Cool.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 12, 2021