Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Just build it" Mighty mite parts basses thread

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rdhbass, Jul 10, 2003.

1. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    HI all. I just wanted to find other people who have put together basses out of parts (excluding warmoth) and who like them. Got a neck for 64 bucks and a mighty mite body for 39 bucks (maple body). Has "new old stock" 70's P pickup (removeable covers) wound by seymour duncan when he worked for MM at "E-b*Y.com". (Lucky ME) The PU is killer!
    I see threads on people wanting to be "cost conscience" and never look to the parts bin basses. In my opinion these are every bit as good as a Mex Fender P. You could even put some killer preamps in these. Heck i know it's not real original to go this route, but i got a good deal on these parts and it plays fine. If any of you have any Franken-clones show some pics or tell us about it. Cool? Later.

2. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    sounds like a great deal... where did you find 'em so cheap?

how do you like the sound of a maple body?
    not too common...
    how does it compare to a typical alder-bodied P bass?

3. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    The maple is alright and i think this body is softer maple and the neck is hard maple. It is kinda bright which is okay but i may add another capacitor in my controls to get some more lows out of it. It weighs about what an alder one weighs. I went to the largest internet auction site "E-b*y.com". I would just spell it out for you but i don't want to advertise for them. You just have to watch alot for deals to come up. Lately these bodies have been selling in the 39-50 dollar range because they have a few scratches on them, (factory second?) but I buffed mine out with a polish. Its a fun thing to just put one together and everybody should give it a try.

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I got the body and neck of unknown origin (and for the body - unknown wood content!) from Venemen Music at their "May Sale" in around 1989 for $75. Put together the bass with other spare parts and it ended up exceeding my expectations by a large margin, so I replaced all the parts one by one. You can see holes where I misplaced the original bridge, which I replaced with a Schaller. The pickup is a Fender Lace Sensor that I got for $25, and it sounds FANTASTIC. The bass plays good as well. The tuners are Mighty Mite black elephant ears. Over all a nice little P-Bass probably equivalent to a MIM or an Essex. Monetarily it's worthless, but I like it. :)
    [​IMG]