1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just by posting a Flight of Icarus Bass cover

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Metalbasspro, Apr 9, 2015.

1. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Feb 9, 2009
    WA state
    Just by posting a Flight of Icarus Bass cover a few positive things happened over the course of two days. I posted it a Facebook local musicians page then on youtube after I got the volume up. Two bass players wanted to friend me and a few saluted the cover. This is more positive then the no comments at all on anything else I ever posted.

A drummer that left a band I was in a while ago causing the band to break up posted that he knew a drummer that might be moving into town and he'd hook me up. I thought this drummer had something against me so it was a shock. That led to him face booking me to say that the drummer got some contracting jobs and was staying put. I thanked him for thinking of me anyway. His last message to me I took as the closest thing to an apology I will get from him. He said,

Well good luck to ya Mike. I hope you can do more in this area than i did. Just keep at it man you will find the people you need.i have to face the fact that it is pointless for me to keep trying.just dont end up like me man. take care

Then true to his odd self he blocked any reply.

I paid for an add in the local news paper looking for a drummer and it was crickets until the last two days of the add running. I got one call from it. Met another drummer at Starbucks for a chat and both are interested in working with me and a guitar player. The Guitar player's reverb page is currently top rated in the area.

So something may pan out soon. I can't help but think back to the drummer who quit the band after I filmed his basement and he got mad however. I been listening to the music at work and I believe in the music fully. I think it's brilliant but the drummer thought it was not like the death metal he wants to play. I keep thinking that who cares if it's not the style we'd rather be playing. Like lets say one of us was offered a Spot in Korn before they made it. Would we have turned it down because it was not our thing? What if it's just really good. Why not be involved in something new. I wonder if I can convince the Drummer and the Guitar player singer from that project to give it another try. The Drummer says he's open to anything that sounds good but he thought the vocals and guitar sounded Happy as ****.

Can I get anyone's opinion on two songs here,

THH L O C U S T Y E A R S

and
    D A R K E S T G R A C E

Northern Skulls

Personally I think the sound is original, very dark and fun to play. I don't play on this but I was playing it all live.

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I don't like the vocals, but the other parts sounded cool.

-Mike

3. slobake

slobake resident ... something

I liked LocustYears more than DarkestGrace but the keyboards on DarkestGrace were a nice contrast to the guitar. I liked the snarled vocals but the other vocals not as much.
    Of course I'm an old fart who listens to the Ramones so take my comments with that in mind.
    I wish you well, keep at it.

ShredderMaximus likes this.
  4. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    NO MUSIC RELATED POSTS IN OT!!!

How many times do we have to say this? Geez.

Moved to Miscellaneous.

5. HeavyAxe

HeavyAxe

Jul 16, 2013
    Alberta, Canada
    In my opinion, lose the clean vocals and bump the harsh stuff up a bit to a higher pitch. Since you guys aren't playing brutal death metal or anything, I'd do that as I think it really propels the music forward and makes it more powerful. Think Dissection...

Other than that, good job! :thumbsup:

ShredderMaximus likes this.
  6. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Feb 9, 2009
    WA state
    The Drummer made the singer lose the harsh vocals when playing live but I think it loses it's more poppy appeal. I like the clean vocals. I think the words should be understood..

7. HeavyAxe

HeavyAxe

Jul 16, 2013
    Alberta, Canada
    Personally, I've never been a fan of the harsh vocals with the sing songy choruses, unless your band is named Enslaved or Opeth. The harsher stuff keeps me into the song, makes me want to listen and feel the music. Once the cleans come in, the mood sorta dies and it just goes on.
    Just my two cents. I'm sure a lot of people dig it.

As for understanding the words, lots of bands who use harsh vocals can be understood. Generally you need to be in a higher register, but I think harsh/intelligible vocals create a very strong atmosphere within the music. Listen out early Opeth (pre-Blackwater Park). Your average top 40 listener won't understand, but lots of metal fans would.

8. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Feb 9, 2009
    WA state
    Maybe a better vocalist would pull it off better. When i listen to the practice sessions I got on my lecture recorder it's just a bunch of screaming and hardly represents the melody line of the original vocal line.

9. I like the harsh vocal parts, but it loses it for me with the clean parts. Just sounds like something is clashing in the multi-tracking and its very distracting to my ears. Also his delivery kinda reminds me of the part in "The Wolf of Wallstreet" when Leonardo DiCaprio takes way too many ludes. Not trying to talk crap, just my honest opinion. Other than that some very solid tracks!

And I agree with Heavy, the difference between a good growler and a mediocre one is that clarity of understanding what they're saying when they're singing. And honestly I found it easier to understand your vocalist when he was growling, he's actually pretty good at it.

Case and point: George Fisher.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
    HeavyAxe likes this.
  10. BazzTard

BazzTard Banned

that is very distressing .

You went to STARBUCKS?

Gluvhand likes this.
  11. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Feb 9, 2009
    WA state
    Yes and never been there before. The experience leaves me with the outlook I'll never go there again. Next musician that wants to meet can meet me at McDonalds. The drummer is a contractor so I guess a 5 dollar cup of Joe is no sweat off his wallet. The mango smoothie I ordered almost 5 bucks was ridiculously small for that price point. When I feel like I am getting scammed I don't go back.

12. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Feb 9, 2009
    WA state

Well I don''t want him to sing it all clean. His rough parts are fine. Just that the drummer had him singing it all one way.