Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just came across this video

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Bardolph, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
  2. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    That is cool!

How 'bout Stanley's slap solo! :bassist:

Omar is great too.

I saw Herbie last summer with Terri Lynn Carrington on drums, it was wicked good!

...digs out Head Hunters cd..... :cool:

3. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Oh Yeah.

That was mucho excelante. :hyper:

4. pentexlovesme

pentexlovesme

Mar 28, 2004
    Seattle
    Great song and a great clip! You could tell those guys were having the time of their lives up there on stage, and for some reason, that always makes it just a little bit better for me.

5. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    That drummer has amazing time, even his fills are rock solid. I had to watch his fill at 2:06-2:10 several times; it kills.

Cool clip.

6. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    Thanks! That got me fired-up!

7. Blimey - excellent.

What dvd is this from??

8. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
  9. Man, for me, that bass solo with the drums behind it is the DEFINITION of the bass player and the drummer locking in. Stanley and the drummer locked it like one person.

Man, that gives me goose bumps.. No one slaps like that anymore. I hope I dont get crap for saying this, but everyone is worried about "flipityflapblankitysplatsplat I'm going to show off" bass solos.. Why not just some straight up GROOVIN' anymore?!?!

10. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    Check THIS out!

11. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS

Cool. I really dig that guy.

Thanks,
    Adam

12. Wolf

Wolf

Jan 30, 2004
    Israel
    Cool vids!
    Michael Brecker sure looks like an ass with that EWI ; )

That particular piece though - "Cantaloupe Island" - feels kinda same-old. Not necessarily a bad thing in this case. Shorter's great, and Omar's slammin' too.
    Really enjoyed his drumming on that Victor Bailey CD.

13. Thanks for the vids Eskimo that is a sweet groove. Abark you weren't kidding about that drummer!

14. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Is Stanley's tone the signature Alembic sound? Because I think it has why too much treble and not enough bass for my liking. At least in that clip; I dig his playing on School Days.

15. That is a serious take on Wayne Shorter's sax by that dude on the Weather Report vid...some mighty blowin'. :hyper:

BTW, Omar Hakim is my new Lord...

16. :cool:

What a lineup... what a performance. I love it when Stanley just gets percussive and plays off the drumkit.... the electric bass deserves more credit as a percussion instument.

17. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    Wow! :hyper: