Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just came back from an audition...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Jazzin', Sep 27, 2005.

1. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

for the Montreal AllCity BigBand. I screwed up so much. I had to sightread a bassline at a high tempo, and walk (improv) a bassline on a Bb jazz blues. There were two other bassists ahead of me, they were much better than I was. One was just perfect. But on the bright side, this was my first audition, I now know what it's like, and I'll try out next year fo rthe same band after I'm way more prepared.

2. Frugle

Frugle

Sep 4, 2005
    Atlanta GA

oh, sorry to hear... oh well... keep jammin :bassist:

the band gets a new bassist once a year?

3. Sorry to hear that, but better luck in the future man.

The band probably has try-outs every year to see if there is any new talent that is better than the old talent, and also to see if the third chair guy can replace the second chair guy etc. Much like a Juniour hockey team I was assume.

4. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    that's ok dude, live 'n learn. get right back out there and do it again.

5. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Sounds way competitive. Fortunately, where I live you can count the talented bassists on one hand.

6. I commend you for your positive attitude. :)

7. Jazzin'

Yes, it is very competative, I didn't know that at first. It's for all of Montreal, for players between 17 and 21. I happen to be 17, everyone who I saw auditioning was at least 20, except for one who was 18. There was a URBassist, 22 years old, who was amazing, sightread flawlessly. These guys were at a level way higher than I am. But I kind of went into this audition expecting that. I didn't do my best, but my best wouldn't have been good enough anyway. But like I said before, there's still a bright side to it.

8. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    The spots in those band are exceedingly difficult to fill. I went to a jazz camp with the bassist from the Ottawa AllCity JazzBand, and he was incredible. My age, too. I looked like a chimp next to him, especially on DB.

9. Jazzin'

My friend is the alto player in the Ottawa band, it's called the "Napean All-City BigBand" or something close to that. He's amazing, this guy is gigging with players with over 30 years of experience. And he's only 17. He puts everyone in awe.

10. At least you had the courage to audition. I'm not a good sight reader, but even if I was, I probably wouldn't have the courage to try out for a band like that - those guys are good. Hey, they've got a few years on you, and you now know how auditions tend to work. Hopefully you know what you need to do in order to make the band next year (probably involves a lot of practice!). Good stuff, better luck next year.

11. Jazzin'

The first thing I'm going to need is a teacher.