1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just can't get a nice tone out my Gallien Krueger 1001rb-II...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassMonstrum, May 12, 2011.

1. BassMonstrum

BassMonstrum

Mar 7, 2008
    I sat for hours with my Fender P-bass trying to get a good tone out of my Gallien Krueger 1001rb-II and Mesa Boogie Roadready 1000 cabinet. Nothing. I've previously used a Sansamp (BDDI at first, then the VT), but always felt that while the bass alone sounded good, it never cut through in a bandsetting. You could feel the bass, but not hear it, which is fine for some, but in our band "the bass is 70% of the sound", according to our gitarist. Yes, our gitarist actually complains because he can't hear me!

Any suggestions?

Check out Marathon | Free Music, Tour Dates, Photos, Videos for how my bass sounds in the studio and how I would like it to sound live. The bass here consists of three tracks mixed together.

2. metron

metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    There are a wide variety of eq settings that could be the culprit. How do you have it set up?

Subtle use of the eq is best. I have never had a problem getting good tone out of mine. I start with eq at noon, everything else turned off, boost at 9 or 10 max, and work from there.

3. Marton

Marton

Sep 20, 2005
    Quebec
    Too much contour ?

4. TripleDouble

TripleDouble Guest

Aug 5, 2008
    That is odd. Have you read the GK's manual? There are some pretty important tips in there about the gain structure of their amps, and I always tend to try to cut the EQ as opposed to boost them on GK's. I play a 700RBii which many people seem to prefer to the 1001 which would be way too loud for me, but I'm sure there are some good sounds in there...

edit: and yeah Marton is totally right, the Contour knob and "4/5 string" button can seriously screw things up. The boost knob and a loud master volume and lower preamp volume are your friends...I personally love GK amps for what they do.

5. tdub0199

tdub0199

Mar 4, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I have a 1001RB II as well and play through an Ampeg 810E cab using a VT Deluxe and I'm loving the tone I'm getting out of this head..... Growly and cuts like a knife.... I set everything on the head flat and boost to about 8 or 9... oh yeah contour is off.....

6. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    If you hate how it sounds with everything kind of flat maybe this amp is not for you...

7. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    The cab is the culprit - worst cab Mesa ever put out, and definitely has the tendency to disappear in a band mix like you describe... Lose the cab, and go either all 10s or all 15s, and you'll see a huge improvement... I have the PH610, and when A/B'd, it smokes the PH1000 or PH1200...

- georgestrings

8. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    Isn’t that the big 4x10 with a 15” speaker in the middle of it? Expensive, very substantial cab. Seems odd the cab sucks but yeah, if he isn’t cutting through the mix with the 1001rb-II then something is VERY WRONG.

Thing is I’ve heard that cab with a big Mesa head (400B?) and it sounded good. Can’t hurt to go to GC and try the head with other cabs (GK 412 NEO), then sell the Mesa.

9. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Lotsa cabs sound good soloed or on the GC showroom floor. ;)

Competing for every free frequency live is totally different! ;)

10. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    Must be some odd "cancellation" thang going on inside that cab or something....

11. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    It's a weird beast, to say the least. I'd go for a PH412, myself! :D

12. Check the manual. It has several suggested settings that you might find helpful. I have a 1001RB-II and get great tone that cuts through.

13. Sell it. Problem solved.

14. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    You may just have a combination of bass, amp and cab that don't go well together. However, the GK should be easily dialed in to cut through a smix as long as the mids aren't scooped out. A P-bass can get lost in the mix fairly easily in my experience if not eq'd a particular way and I can speak from experience that the Mesa Powerhouse cab is a big ball of mud at higher volumes.

I am a huge Mesa fan but that particular cab was disappointing to my ears as it was blurry and indistinct when turned up. Its loud and boomy but doesn't have the focus or clarity of a good 610, 810, 412 or even 215 cab. I had a bunch of Mesa cabs lined up a few years ago including a new PH and every other configuration just smoked it when compared side by side. However, it is still a popular cab that some guys swear by so its all pretty dependent on the other gear you have and the tone you are after.

From what you have described, the GK is the least likely to be causing your sound to not cut through.

15. Listened to your studio track (awesome btw.) and IMO the bass was very prominent on low frequencies but lacked mids (what cuts through) when sounded clean.

Have you considered another bass? IMO a musicman or any other bass with pickups placed near the bridge will cut through better.

+1 on trying another cab also

16. GCool

GCool

Dec 9, 2007
    Nashville, Tn
    The Low End, Orange Amps, SIT Strings
    I miss my 1001rb ;(

17. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Not for nothing, but there really aren't too many basses made that fit in a band mix than a P Bass - I'm just sayin'...

- georgestrings

18. gmarcus

gmarcus Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2003
    contour off
    4 string mode
    Roll the bass of just a little
    Drive at 10:00 to noon
    Master up as loud as you need it
    Gain around 9:00 to 10:00

19. BassMonstrum

BassMonstrum

Mar 7, 2008
    I guess I'll be selling the cab then. The recording was actually done by splitting the signal in three:

1. Sansamp BDDI direct. Midscooped with a touch of drive.
    2. Budda Phatbass or Black Russian Big Muff into the GK1001rb-II and a GK NEO212 cab.
    3. Electro Harmonix Bass Micro Synthesizer direct. Not always that prominent, but gives a bit of sizzle. It's quite boosted during the verses.

Think I'll be looking for a Gallien Krueger 412NEO. Might also try my Jazzbass.

Thanks guys!

20. IMO and IME a MM will cut better through the mix than a P bass, but other people's experience could be different..