Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just can't get my pickup wiring correct

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Elliot Smith, Sep 22, 2005.

1. Elliot Smith

Elliot Smith

Apr 29, 2005
    Hi guys, yesterday i install the seymour duncan hot stack in my aerodyne bass. However, i didn't get to enjoy it because i think my wiring is wrong. I have two questions and i hope you guys can help me.

My bass is a PJ, i am only changing the bridge pickup for now and the neck pickup is stock fender's.

Situation 1
    I am really confused by Seymour Duncan schmatics. The schmatics they have on the website told me to wire the "white wire" to the volume pot and the "black wire to ground". However, the schmatic they gave me (the yellow piece of paper found in the box" told me to wire the "black wire" to the volume pot and the "green wire" to ground.

There five wires connected to my pickups. the black, red, green, white and one bare metal wire. So many?! Which one to use.

QNS 1: Which schmatics should i follow?

Situation 2
    So I thought I try both. Both wiring works and i can hear my bass through the amp. But here's the problem, when i try using two pickups together, the output fall drastically. Both wiring gave me the same problem.

When i rolled off my bridge pickup, the Pbass pickup out put increased back to the normal.

QNS 2: How did this happen and how to solve it?

This is my first time installing pickups and I hope you guys can help me. I really don't want to spend $25 to install one pickup.

2. Rene

Rene

Mar 8, 2004
    Canada
    You solder the red and green together, tape the end of it and make sure they don't touch anything.
    You solder the black and bare metal on top of the pot and solder the white to the middle connection of your middle volume.

3. Elliot Smith

Elliot Smith

Apr 29, 2005
    Nope, i tried you suggestion... it didn't seem to help. :bawl:
    S what to do now?

4. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    Try the reverse of the last suggestion - if the volume drops, it is probably out of phase with the Fender, and swapping the two leads will change the phase of the new pickup. If it sounds good alone, you are probably using the correct wires from the new pickup . . .

- Tim

5. Carey

Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    In my experience Duncan pickups are wired like this (this will be series wiring, which should be correct for a stack):
    Red and white soldered together and taped off.
    Black goes to volume pot.
    Green and bare go to ground.
    If you still have the volume drop with both pickups on then try reversing the green and black wires.
    Hope that helps...

6. Elliot Smith

Elliot Smith

Apr 29, 2005
    I try rene suggestions... when i soloed the bridge, the volume is very soft. I thought this is supposed to be a high output pickup?

7. Carey

Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    This is the schematic you need to use. It's just like what I mentioned earlier.

8. Elliot Smith

Elliot Smith

Apr 29, 2005
    Thanks Carey, it finally work. I use suggestions but didn't work, so i reverse the green and black wires and BINGO ! Finally.... it is working....

Thot stack sound great on its own. It had very springy sound when play with a pick... anyone have experience with them?

9. Rene

Rene

Mar 8, 2004
    Canada
    You are 100% right , I looked at the wrong Seymour Duncan schematic. I looked at PJ two wire conductor.
    sorry