Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just can't like Warwick I guess...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brendan, Mar 3, 2001.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I was at GC today, and I tell you, I really wish I could like Warwicks, but it's just not happening. I used to think I liked them, but I finnally got to sitdown today with a few for an extended period, and I just got more and more depressed. The necks were all out of shape, the weight was off a bit, then sound was decent I guess, but not the best...I just can't get behind Warwick. Anyone else not down with the Warwicks?

2. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I'm with you on this one. I have played several Warwicks in the past, and no matter how much I wanted to, I could not bring myself to buy one. I just could not get used to the shape of the necks. And I also made the mistake of strapping on a THumb bass once. Let go of the neck and it makes a mad dive for the floor.

I really wanted to like them too, I love the way the Streamers and the Corvettes look, and I don't mind the sound of them either. I just could not get comfortable playing them.

Ryan

3. Personally, I'd (shockingly) recommend you try out a Spector NSCRFM bass. You'll be depressed no more!!! Generally, I'm not to hip on Warwicks. They used to be better quality before they started spitting them out by the truck load. Even if you're lucky enough to find a good quality
    Streamer Stage I for example. Why would you buy this Spector knock off Warwick bass that lists for $1000 more than the real thing? Besides, the NSCRFM Spector is consistantly top quality!

4. Basser_Instinct

Basser_Instinct

Feb 2, 2001
    I also went thru the warwick dissapointment. I walked into GC with the money to buy one, Just going on all the good stuff I've heard, But was sorely dissapointed.the neck is to square I think and the weight really threw me. I though the sound was alright but nothing I'd give my baby up for!

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I know what you guys mean, after all the hype I've heard, I was expecting it to play and sound like buttah, but got to playing them, and plunk! And Mr. Dead, nobody in the area (As in over 2 hours drive) carries Spectors in any way, let alone the NSCRFMs which, look like a million bucks if you ask me.

6. Musician's Firend has a 30 day return policy. So you could "test drive" one. You would only have to eat the cost of returning one if it's not to your liking ($15 or so) but I doubt you would. They have killer deals on some overstock. Check 'em out at www.musiciansfiend.com

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I know. I drooled over the 5 string version in Black Cherry for like a month...In fact, I still am! Geez, thanks for reminding me!:rolleyes::) I hope they play as well as they look! (To bad all my money is sapped at the moment)

8. No, They play (and sound) better than they look!
    I own two fivers and a four, so I know from experience!!!

9. You might want to try some Warwicks other than the ones at GC. Last I heard they only carried the "standard" models w/bolt on necks and passive electronics.

10. Tuomas

Tuomas

Mar 14, 2000
    Helsinki, Finland
    I used to think that I liked warwicks too. I didn't even dislike that neck as much back then and I considered the overall playability to be pretty decent.
    It was just that everytime i played one with a band, i found my self adjusting the tone knobs forever from the amp and bass. that would have been ok if I'd got one good sound BUT NO! Everytime something was missing or the overall sound just felt that it was somewhere where it was not supposed to be. And then i broke a string from one and played rest of the rehearsal with a jazz -just plugged it in and it sounded good and played even better. I'm glad I don't waste my time anymore with warwicks.

11. Perhaps that is the case at your nearest GC location. However, the 2 Phoenix area locations nearby carry the full line (neck through/ active electronics).

12. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Who doesn't? :) I think I will buy one, a 5-string in that particular colour. I.e. After having worked my butt off the whole summer to get the money...

13. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    My story too. Sounds very pretty when played alone, but for the music I play, in the bands I play, there's too much tweaking involved. And with all that tweaking, you might not get a good sound anyway. I was lucky to borrow my guitarists Corvette for a rehearsal before my GAS forced me to buy one myself. That one rehearsal made me look away from them. Still beautiful basses, and in my (perverted?) opinion, they play like butter. But they lack in the most important departement: sound.

14. DO IT!!! :D

15. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I'm in the same boat. I wanted to like em cause they're Spectorish (to be polite :)) I liked nothing about them.:(

I'd stay away from the black cherry (cosmetic reason only) The red is transparent but the black is solid & the back is solid black. The USA black cherry is NICE!!! totally transparent!!! AWESOME!!! I want another SPECTOR!!! They're all awesome!!!

16. Nino, the finish you are referring to is "black cherry burst" which are no longer being produced. "Black cherry stain" which do not fade to black edges and back (totally transparent) are being produced currently on the CR line!

17. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    SO hows the string spacing on those? I prefer about a 19mm (or just wide) string spacing...

18. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    In that case, it should look awesome. I had a black cherry burst, & it played & sounded awesome!!!!! I wasen't too fond of the finish.

19. Nails

Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    I'm in the same boat as everyone else here. I haven't found a 5 string Warwick that I would actually buy. The necks were all to wide and the profile was to flat. Except for the Pro-M 5, the neck felt great, but the tone controls didn't seem to have much power in them. I was twisting those knobs all over the place trying to hear what they did, but I just couldn't tell. Unlike on the MM Stingrays, Fender J & P-basses, and any Spector I've played. But I do love the way some Warwicks look, like Nino said, they look like Spectors which is why I wanted to try the Warwicks out to begin with.

Now if I could only decide between a Stingray and a Czech Spector

20. hey Nails don't tell anyone but i have a Warwick Thumb bolt on, and i love it. shh. just trying to help you out.
    i traded my stingray for a thumb and i feel it was the best move i made. the stingray was a little to bright for my taste. if your choice is between the stingray and the spector i would go with the spector. i freind of mine has a czech spector and i love it. it is on my wish list as far as the next bass i will own. i like the USA ones but unless i come across a lot of cash i will be getting the czech.
    the spector has much more tone choices than the stingray.