Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just clear this up for me - Experienced People Wanted

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JackColtman, Dec 24, 2003.

1. JackColtman

JackColtman

Dec 24, 2003
    At the moment I use an active Samick bass and a Kustom kba 100, I have an aphex bass xciter, but Im not happy with my setup as It is not what I want, theres too much "white sound" and I basically want the Les Claypool sound, If i buy a Boss Limiter Enhancer will it "cancel out" my xciter, or make it not work aswell, also if anyone could give me any advice on getting the classic claypool sound would be much appreciated

2. Since the 'classic Claypool sound' came from a 6-string Fretless (or any other) Carl Thompson, through ADA preamps, into Mesa 400+ tube amps to Mesa 15's, there's basically no similarity between your rigs. He doesn't use that rig now, by the way. His tone through the Sausage and Oysterhead and Frog Brigade days was completely different from his 'signature' Sailing the Seas of Cheese days.

Les really likes that 'farty midrange' that he has claimed for his signature sound. His eq is pretty flat. Starting with flat lows and gradually boosting through the midrange.

To answer your question, the limiter will not cancel out the exciter, it will serve to clip your hardest/loudest notes coming from your bass. If the exciter is after it in the chain, you won't have a problem with one canceling out the other.

3. JackColtman

JackColtman

Dec 24, 2003
    Cheers thats basically all I wanted to know about that bloody Xciter, seeing as yo seem to know all about claypools tones what did he sort of setup did he use when he was in Oysterhead, as it is truly one of the coolest tones ive ever heard

4. also, the Limiter/Enhancer will do absolutely nothing to eliminate the 'white sound'...cause it only limits loud things. If anything it will only ENHANCE it.

5. JackColtman

JackColtman

Dec 24, 2003
    Sod it then, how will i get rid off the white sound, some sort of noise processer filter doodah

6. First you need to determine if it's coming from your bass, cable or your amp, or from the electronics in the room you're playing in. If you have a crappy cord you could be getting stray radio signals through it. Same goes with the solder points and wiring in your bass.

Try the bass with another amp/cable and do some process of elimination to find the root cause. If it's the bass, either find a way to solve the problem or get the Boss NS-2 noise supressor which does a pretty good job eliminating hum.

My guess would be the amp. Samicks are pretty clean and quiet, but an older Kustom can be like plugging into a cement truck.

On Oysterhead, Claypool was still using most of his 'signature' gear, but it was tweaked and eq'd for the band. Stewart Copeland and Trey Anastasio are completely different players tonally than Tim Alexander and Larry LaLonde. He was also using more fretted basses and dabbling much more into modulation effects and delays. Envelope filters/followers and phasers abound on that album.

7. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Eliminate the source of the noise in the rig. Once you have noise, it is next to impossible to eliminate. Instead use gear that doesn't create the noise in the first place.

BTW, if you only hear the noise when you aren't playing, the you can use a noise gate. If you hear it while your notes are still playing, then you are out of luck.