1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Just commisioned a bass from Nino Valenti!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Masher88, May 14, 2006.

1. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I've been in contact with Mr. Valenti to get one of his beautiful basses!:hyper: I'll keep this thread posted as the build pics and news come in. I've been selling off all my possesions on ebay to pay for it! Hahah:D The waiting is going to be the hardest part! Here's the stats, let me know what you all think:
    Body:
    -4 string, J-Bass style
    -Swamp ash wood
    -Quilted Maple top
    -Red Dye gloss finish (black back)
    -Jack hole on the side of body (not the top)
    -Rear routed cavity

Neck:
    -Maple Neck
    -Rosewood Fretboard
    -Bone Nut
    -Jumbo frets (Warmoth's 6150)
    -12" radius
    -1 1/2" wide at the nut
    -Satin finish on back and on peghead
    -Mother of Pearl dot inlays

Hardware and Electronics:
    -All Gold Hipshot hardware (yeah...I like the bling!)
    -Nordstrand dual coil pickups (bridge and neck position)
    -Aguilar OBP-3 (9 Volt) frequency selection.
    - Control Layout:
    1. Neck Pickup Volume pot with push/pull for single coil selection
    2. Bridge Pickup Volume pot with push/pull for single coil selection
    3. Treble Pot
    4. Midrange Pot with push/pull for frequency selection
    5. Bass Pot with push/pull for active/passive selection

Some of thses stats may change if Nino feels that some of my desires cannot be achieved.

As Wesley Willis would say: "Rock over Cleveland, Rock over London...Pepsi, the choice of a new genration!"

2. Body and neck description sounds great. I'd probably go with smaller frets, but most people seem to prefer the jumbos. I'm not a big fan of gold hardware on my guitars, but it's your bass and the gold will certainly set off the red quilted maple really well. I really like Hipshot hardware, so I think that was a great choice. And the pickups are wonderful. I like the choice of the preamp also, but have you thought about a Demeter preamp? I haven't had a chance to hear one yet, but I have read very good things about them. What I have read, seems to indicate a little more clarity with the Demeter while still contributing great warmth. I understand about the waiting period. I'll bet this will be a gorgeous bass when it is done. Congratulations.

3. Masher88

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Thanks for the post! I haven't checked out the Demeter preamp...I didn't know they made an "onboard" pre. I thought it was all rackmount stuff. I fell in love with the Aguialr pre when I played a Hill bass here in town that was customized with the Aguilar (Although, it was the OBP-1). Really great tones. Plus, all those juicy sound clips of other TB members and thier Valentis with the Aguilars. I think Nino's got a deal worked out with Aguilar, so the prices may be cheaper...That's just my interpretation, though...I may be wrong about this point.

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Sounds like a cool bass! How long do you have to wait?

5. Masher88

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    About 4 months....4 agonizingly long, grueling months.:crying: It will be worth it, though!

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Sounds nice :) I would go with the red finish all around though.

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Hey Masher88. Check you PMs.

8. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Sounds like a killer bass; I dig your specs. IMHO Carey Nordstrand's pickups are fantastic. I have the Aggie OBP-3 in my main bass and I like it a ton. Hipshot's hardware is great, and I'm a fan of jumbo frets. 4 months waiting time isn't too bad either.

Regards,
    -Art

9. kLumick

kLumick

Apr 4, 2004
    rock over london, rock on chicago, wheaties the breakfast of champions!

10. Congrats Masher!! I'm right at 1 month into my wait for a Valenti that I ordered. It's gone pretty quickly! I haven't gotten any updates yet, but it's entirely possible that it hasn't been started yet. I do look forward to updates and pics and all. I'm sure the wait will be more agonizing once that starts to happen. Anyway, congrats again!

11. Sounds like it's gona be great. Welcome to the waiting club !!

12. Masher88

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I was afraid that with red all around...you'd see the line of where the Quilt Maple and Swamp Ash meet...and it would look silly.:confused:

13. steve21

steve21 Banned

But ash is way too beautiful to cover up.

14. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I agree. And I don't think it'd look silly where the two woods meet. My Roscoes both have ash bodies with different top woods, and I don't think they look silly.:)

15. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Lots of basses have visible top/body lines, I tihnk it looks fine.

16. red.

Eek.

17. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    I have similar in a carmel color and it looks fine. The only time I'd worry about it is if the woods are of considerably different colors like maybe a mahogony back with a maple top. You also have to consider where the black ends and where the trans red begins.

18. Masher88

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I kinda like that fading into black look. Does anyone have any examples of red all around? With a different wood on top? Perhaps I could be swayed if i can see it. I'm getting the Swamp Ash body mostly for it's sound quality. My G&L L-2000 is Ash and it sounds lovely!

19. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I had a spector with a QMT and basswood body. Trans red. I dont have pictures of where the woods met though.

20. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

I am sure you will get a great bass from Nino ! :bassist: