Just confronted our guitarist...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Stu L., Dec 18, 2002.

1. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    And it went fairly well. Here's the quick update, a few guys and I (5 total) are trying to start a band. We have yet to really rehearse, but the lead guitarist is trying to get us booked! And, at some pretty big places too! So, I pulled him aside, and told him how I felt about his "leadership" (which sucked). After finding out his intentions for a band (to get rich and famous basically:rolleyes: ) we decided, with the band's input, that this may not be the band for him. The rest of us just want to play, but he want's to start writing songs and recording. That's ok, but they have to be HIS songs, and the way he writes them.

As of this post, he is re-thinking of being in this band. I told him I didn't want him out, but he is thinking of it anyway. It would be a loss, but a replacement isn't hard to find down here. We'll see what happens...
  2. This sounds a lot like a guitarist I was in a band with...He committed us to play a birthday party at a friend of ours' house...for FREE...Now we'd played together...and could've pulled it off..BUT I was the one who handled P.R.(Website, bookings, etc.)[Needless to say...I told him how wrong he was and if he wanted to play, I wouldn't stop him...He couldn't use my or the drummer's names...and couldn't use my or the drummer's material] I was the better songwriter of the two of us...and marginally the better team player...I asked everyone if they wanted to play...I made sure I felt that we were ready(or that I was ready?)While He was trying to get laid in the situation...Best advice is to tell him, "Look man...We want to take it slow, start off with some covers, and see how it goes.." and if that's not good enough for him, let him go...He'd be the death of the band as a whole anyway...
  3. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Dry Water, I think guitarists as a whole are just not right in the head :D !
    After more "negotiations" with ours, I found out the place he was trying to book us had an age restriction limit (no one under 18) The singer, drummer, and rythm guitarist are all too young to even get in the door.:rolleyes: The guitarist doesn't like the singer, so this is his way of trying to exclude him. I let it be known that if we didn't all go somewhere, there was no show. No exclusions are going to be made. This is not going to be my career, and I might have a bad attitude towards the guitarist, but oh well. The rest of the band agrees with me at least.
    I also offered that if they didn't like my attitude, to just tell me and I'd be out. I'd rather keep my friends than make them hate me. Right now, we're still a "band" but I really think the guitarist is going to quit.:rolleyes:
  4. oldirtymoney

oldirtymoney Banned

Jul 16, 2002
    california, carslbad
    hmm kinda sounds like my guitarist
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Jeez. You guys take it so seriously. Lighten up.
  6. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Oh, i get it. Well not really. What was the question again? um,,, (come on polly,,,, pull it together, pull it together.........!...) GUITARIST SUCK! (YES! No you shall no longer be the outcast....)

*Pats self on back*
  7. I'd have to say my guitarist is the coolest member of the band, i like him alot. Its my drummer that really gets on my nerves. He used to sing lead and play lead guitar in a band, so he thinks he knows everything and somebody needs to shrink his big head or he wont have room for it behind his kit.
  8. I've had one bad attitude guitarist in on of my bands, others have been OK. My two current ones are decent, except one is always moaning at the singer to sing more melodically, and he takes songwriting credits for stuff I've obviously written.

By far, the drummer is the worst. I used to be in a band with him and he was an ass, telling us how the band was the last priority after everything else, i.e. his girl, his family, his studies, work, and how there was nothing wrong with selling out and how the band was there for money.

Fast forward 6 months and he's dropped out of colege, his girl left him and he's got a crap job. He still wants to play drums in a band though. But when he tells me to turn my amp off when I'm frantically trying to learn a great riff I just wrote for one of the guitarist's riffs, I get annoyed.