Just curious about these low price Bass heads (DB forum thread)

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by rickwolff, Nov 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. rickwolff

rickwolff Supporting Member

GKon likes this.
  2. rickwolff

And yes, they're called BG heads but I'm thinking DB.

3. Jay Corwin

Jay Corwin Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    You'll tend to find a love/hate bit with the reviews of Behringer stuff because they "borrow" other people's stuff and don't really design much themselves. The Bugera Veyron amps look really interesting as well (also made by Behringer).

I don't have any experience with them though.

Watts are cheap these days.

This is the one I've thought about. Bugera Veyron M BV1001M 2000W Bass Head

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
  4. jdthebassman

jdthebassman play to live live to play Supporting Member

stay away you get what you don't pay for gc dropped the line years ago because of problems

DrayMiles likes this.
  5. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom

Feb 17, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    I've played this exact head (BXD3000H) for two years in a gigging band in Greece. It was at two shows a month with me, as well as my amp for practice at home.
    It's funny you bring it up because I'm preparing to buy a second one because I left my first one in Greece when I
    moved back to NY.

I primarily played my EB through it, paired to an 8ohm 1x15 cabinet. I also play my EUB through it. Here's what I'll say about it.
    Sound is really good! The EQ helps you get what you want out of it. The compressor does a good job.
    I usually used the clean channel, but the #2 channel can be set up to give you some pre-programmed fuzz/dirt.

The thing you have to watch out for with these is they don't handle being bumped around too well. I spoke with the reps at Thomann
    in Germany (Behringer is their "house brand") and they were clear on this point. You have to be careful during transport. Don't drop
    it. I would transport mine to gigs in it's original box with styrofoam pre-molded protectors. That was fine. I never had a problem
    with it.

Also, Thomann told me that they are clearly made with the least expensive components that they can get, so no, it is not a top of the line
    head, but that's why it's so cheap. It should not crap out on you, explode, catch fire, summon demons or any other thing that people who
    have never used one will lead you to believe. For a budget conscious musician like myself, it's a great option. Again, I liked my first
    one so much I will be buying a second. That should tell you something.

I'll be happy to answer any other specific questions you may have.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
  6. Josh Kneisel

Josh Kneisel

Jun 17, 2016
    Arizona
    Anytime I buy anything from Behringer I buy 5 of them and keep the clean sounding 1 and return the 4 that hiss/buzz/etc.

7. rickwolff

Thanks Gkon for the best (real) answer. You get today's gold star.

Chris Fitzgerald and GKon like this.
  8. GKon

Feb 17, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    You're welcome, @rickwolff
    I'm happy to help. Too many times, the low priced stuff gets a bum rap for no other reason than it's low priced, from folks that
    never have used it.
    I'll be happy to answer any other questions you may have.

rickwolff likes this.
  9. I bought a little Behringer tube mic preamp a few years ago.
    Despite having a very nice tone, I was never able to get rid of some hiss, even after replacing a few components.
    I think Behringer stuff can be good for rehearsals, practice studio, that kind of things, but that's it.

10. GKon

Feb 17, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    As mentioned, I gigged mine twice a month for two years and had no issues. It never hissed.

11. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Hey sir! My brother probably lives a few miles from you.

Carvin has a great 250W amp for $299.

There's also a used Hartke LH500 for even less in the Raleigh CraigsList.

The amps you brought up are.....questionable. :thumbsup:

5StringBlues likes this.
  12. I used a Behringer 300watt head for upright bass for several years, no problem. I sold it to get an Eden (which I regretted) and it's still going to this day. If I didn't have my HandBox R-400 I would happily have another Behringer (and yes, I am pretty damn fussy about my sound).

GKon likes this.
  13. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    You need a good preamp
    A preamp can drive a power amp
    A good power amp can be had for the same price
    and doubles as a spare for other uses like pa or keys

14. Jay Corwin

Jay Corwin Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    I have bunch of little stuff of theirs - a phantom supply, headphone amp, and small mixer. I kind of treat it like tool sets you buy from Harbor Frieght. It's cheap, serves a purpose, but it's not like I'm overhauling an engine with the stuff.

15. ProDigit

ProDigit

Apr 12, 2005
    Miami USA
    I have the 300W head, and it's much louder than my Eden WTX260, despite just 40W more powerful.
    Most of the volume is noticed in the better handling of the mids and high mids, something the Eden didn't do well.

The Behringer has excellent, super sweet sound, no matter how you dial it, the EQ buttons are well sought out!
    I have no complaints about the sound that comes through the speaker, and have played quite a few gigs with an efficient 210.
    It's not a very loud amp, so definitely a downgrade from a 500 or 800W amp, but it does a great job!

My only complaint comes from the sound engineer, saying that the DI on the amp head is bad.
    lots of static. He actually cut the sound altogether, because he found my onstage monitor gave enough low-mids to do for the gigs.

Another thing, this amp will fry if either your speaker cable short circuits; you plug the speaker cable in the cab when the amp is on and signal goes through it, or you connect a lower impedance than 4 ohms (I fried one plugging a 4 and 8 ohms cab together by mistake; no, actually, it was on purpose; I just won't ever admit it :D ...).
    Unlike other amps, once you reach a load below 4 ohms, the amp fries, and ready for trash.
    Other amps would shut down, and work again after a restart. Not the behringer.

FingerDub, Dynomuttasaurus and GKon like this.
  16. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i haven't seen behringer amps, but i had a behringer DI box, and it had a stridency in the highs that i didn't like and couldn't fully dial out. i also had one of their keyboard amps for my vdrums, and it was... adequate. nothing really wrong with it, but the sound was a little meh.

for $50 more than the expensive one, you could get a hartke LH500, and those sound rich and warm, but can dial in all sorts of tone. and there's carvin, transparent tone and great bang for the buck.

17. matt holt

matt holt Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2005
    Cincinnati OH
    I've had two pieces of Beringer gear crap out on me in critical situations; a mixer that died while I was recording someone's Conservatory senior recital, and a headphone amp that pooped out when I was trying to do a studio session. Both of those were a few years ago, and maybe their stuff is gotten better, but I just can't take the risk with them anymore.

18. notabene

notabene

Sep 20, 2010
    SF Bay area
    I have a Beringer "8 channel" mixer copied from a virtually identical in appearance, Mackie, I believe. Paid $60 for it about ten years ago. The Mackie would have cost a couple hundred. The mixer does all it is supposed to do, except sound good. The Mackie is sweet, the Beringer is shrill. Since I've only used it twice in ten years, the price was right, the features good, but the sound nasty.

pcake likes this.
  19. neddyrow

neddyrow @TeddyPlaysBass - Instagram Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2011
    Cortland, NY
    i had mixed luck with behringer myself. i did go for it when the xAir mixers came out. didn't really want to go behringer but they are the only ones who make one like this....and cheap! works pretty well too.....so far. i do have a contingency plan if it goes during a gig. which has happened to a behringer power amp before.

20. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    keeping one in the car for emergency backup sounds like an okay idea. i played through someone else's behringer amp head once onstage. it was the older model head that resembled an ashdown. i was quite underwhelmed; i could not get happy with any of the sounds i got from it. during our first break, i retrieved my acoustic image amp head and used that for the rest of the gig instead. i was much happier; i noticed a huge difference immediately, as did our drummer. mind you, this was all through one of the newer acoustic 1x15 cabs.

my buddy had one of the older kickback 120 watt combos, and it did not sound good at all. he never had any reliability issues with it that i recall. he mostly used it at home and at rehearsals.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021