Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

just curious, but whats the attraction.........

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Si-bob, Jan 4, 2002.

1. ...to 7 strings?
    its gotta be fairly difficult to play, such a wide neck and all, muting all them strings

just my curiosity :)

*Si*

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Ok..imagine this. You're playing a 4...people dig it. Some other shmuck comes along with a 5 string. People thing "Wow...more strings...he must be better!"

So where do you go from 5? Well, if you're like most of us, do not pass 6, do not collect $200 you go right to smoking him with a 7...because the darned fool knows good and well he can't compete with that. 7>5...so, by all logic you have a bigger dingy than him now, right?...wait, did I just say that out loud? :eek:

And uh...some people mutter something about compensating...not that JT would know...:D

3. I don't need a 7 string base to compensate for a small penis, I have a fast car.:D

4. istaticl

istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    Base??

My car is probably faster, not that I'm compensating for anything.

5. I tried playing a 7 at GC about two months ago, I just can't handle it, 6 is as far as I can go. I remember about a year ago www.basspalace.com had an eight string fanned fretless (Conklin of course) that I would just stare at, and never even tried to take on. It looked like it should be laid accross your lap and played like a steel guitar.

6. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    But you apparently have horrible spelling to compensate for it. Excuse me...medeocre. ;)

7 strings...yes, difficult to play. That's what practice is for.

7. Joshua Pickenpaugh

Joshua Pickenpaugh Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2001
    The Midwest of USA
    I played a GC 7 at the Seattle GuitarCenter about a year ago. I thought to myself, why stop there...let's go 8,9,10. The 6 is good enough for me, almost too much sometimes! The mighty 7 and up(s) are for the immortals amongst us...JT!

I have the Bill Dickens video, the one with Bobby Rock (dude!). Seeing The Budda slap on the highest strings way up on the neck on the 7 would just make me giggle...sounded like popping bubble wrap!

I willl have to say Bill Conklin makes be-yoo-tee-full axes. The GC line is pretty darn nice...I'd fancy a 5-er.

8. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Below your screen name and "moderator", there should be "Spelling/Gramar Patrol"

9. Not to be a wiseguy, I spell terrible myself...But GRAMMAR has two m's....

My wife also noted large red letters draw attention to errors.

10. My car is probably faster, . [/B][/QUOTE]

Possibly but not probably
    [​IMG]

11. lemonadeisgood

lemonadeisgood

Aug 22, 2001
    Canada
    my car is faster then all of yours... wait... no it isnt.

my bass has more strings then all of yours... wait... no it doesnt.

my amp has more watts then all of yours... wait a minute... no it doest.

:(

who cares... :rolleyes:

12. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    quote:

Originally posted by cristos:
    " Not to be a wiseguy, I spell terrible myself...But GRAMMAR has two m's.... "

If you are going to correct someone else's grammar or spelling, you may want to add an "ly" to your adverb TERRIBLE :)

13. Thank you.

14. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I've found the GT7f to be an interesting addition to the studio... here's my take:

It's not really 'that' hard to adapt to; yes, muting is a little more crucial- but the neck is actually very comfortable and it forces you to have better technique (you can't possibly hang your thumb over the top of the neck!).

It's well-designed, ergonomically speaking. Very well-thought out. Hangs just right, and isn't fatiguing (with the right strap, which should be a wide & padded one). I strap up high anyway, and it probably makes a big difference with this sucker.

I really like the tone. The Barts are nice, and I get a twangy, sitar-ish tone on the higher strings (I'm tuning down to F#). I really like that sound, especially with the fretless mwah- I just dig it. Makes for some cool drone tones.

For widening my palette (no pun intended), I found it to be just the trick. I like to keep a variety of instruments around the studio, fun for when inspiration hits. Different basses inspire me in different directions, and this beastie has certainly drawn out some influences I didn't know were in me.

So far, anyone who's come in to the studio and tried out the GT7 has really enjoyed it, and taken to it quite easily. Including guys who haven't played 6'ers before. Most like the fact that you barely have to move up or down the neck, you can just go straight across. Though I'm not crazy about the lines, I think they help most non-fretless players. Overall, I really like this bass.

Everyone has their own taste in basses, & I like to think I'll try any one and see what I think based on experience. I've been biased in the past and I'm trying to change that and not base an opinion on looks or preconceptions. This bass has helped me do that.

Hopefully I've provided some spelling/grammar errors to keep this on-topic. If not, you can always point out that 'hopefully' doesn't mean what we think it does...

15. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

BRAVO!!!! lemonade!!1 :p

That's just what we needed added;

- number of strings
    - cubic inches and 0-60 times
    - watts and speaker diameters...

.....a classic

weenie measuring contest!!! And all things that can be accomplished with just a wallet and no skill or talent. Let's get the ladies in here for "cup size"!

What they hey? If you find "your voice" with 7 or more strings, by all means, go for it.

16. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    That's impressive as heck, Mike. First time I've seen a front wheel drive car pull a wheelie:D

17. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    yeah. well my 93' taures would school it ;). just kidding. I kinda like 7 string basses. i don't own one. I just have a tiny 5 string ;). but I think they have a place in the bass world. just as the 4-string animals do :).

18. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I really dig tiny five strings. Pocket-sized are the best.

19. UM 300ZXs were never front wheel drive and thats a Ford 9" rear anyway.

You drive an Olds don't U?:rolleyes: :D

20. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Possibly but not probably
    [​IMG] [/B][/QUOTE]

Hmmm,makes my 10 sec Camaro look slow.Maybe I need to dust off the nitrous kit in the corner........