Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just curious, does anyone else do this?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bassman1185, Dec 3, 2002.

1. I've noticed that when I play in front of people, I don't think at all about what I'm playing. My hands just go do their thing without any intervention from me. This isn't always good, considering that sometimes my hands don't know a song as well as my head. This doesn't happen when I practice, just when I'm in front of people. Am I crazy? Are my hands posessed? Am I going to have to go through another exorcism? Er, I mean, umm, never mind that last part.:D

2. I think I'm the opposite. When I'm playing by myself or we're practicing something I am completely comfortable with I don't think at all which sometimes leads to screwing up. In front of people I'm far more likely to focus on my playing.

So yes, you're crazy. Unless you always have attractive women surrounding you while playing, then it's perfectly understandable.

3. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I only notice the music when I play live... I don't even notice the crowd until afterwards...

4. Same here. I can't seem to get the nerve to look up and pay attention to people. I hate screwing up songs.

5. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    When I'm rehearsing, I tend to think about stuff a bit more.. what I'm doing, what the rest of the band is doing, etc. When playing live, I never think about what's going on. I just listen to what's happening on stage, I listen to the other players and how everything is sounding; it's almost as if I'm not even a member of that band per se. I listen to what I'm playing from an entire ensemble point of view, as long as the bass line keeps sounding tasty.. there isn't anything to think about. I dunno, it's hard to explain and I don't know if the above text really does it any sort of justice. ?

6. i love seeing the crowds when playing live, I often forget about one thing and then come back to it later, start playing out of time, then speeding up and then back to the original speed :D

I can't wait to gig again!! :D