Just curious if this scenario annoys anyone else...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by 20one, Sep 17, 2005.

1. 20one

Jan 10, 2003
    Abilene, TX
    Scenario: Celebrity Musician (I say "Celebrity Musician" for a reason) making the crowd go wild on a crazy guitar solo. You as a REAL musician know that said Celebrity is just playing chords and Joe Blow in the background is really playing the solo. At the end of the song, the crowd goes wild and Mr/Mrs. Celebrity musician takes all the glory for a rockin' song that he/she probably played unplugged... :rollno:

Was just channel surfing and saw a concert where Dave Navarro was doing just this... that man should be smacked upside the head with a bass :D
  2. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    The phrase is "bass to the face", oh there are so many people I want to do that to. I was under the impression Dave Navaro is actually a rather talented guitarist but of course that still makes him rubbish by bassist standards xD.
  3. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Hmm never heard of this before. He is a great guitar player as well!
  4. permadave

Jul 20, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    it's just sad...not MC Hammer sad, but milli vanilli sad! Our drummer said he saw Gavin with Bush do this back in the day (why was he at a Bush show anyways, thats almost worse!!!)
  5. arbarnhart

Nov 16, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    Yeah, Navarro has been in bands where he is the only guitarist. He has serious skills. Are you sure it wasn't Steve Isaacs (the singer and other guitarist in Navarro's current band)? Isaacs can also play, so they may have traded off some. Was it actual footage or a video with some footage?
  6. Spoiled Grape

Spoiled Grape I <3 Darkstar

May 29, 2003
    Riverside, CA
    No. Somebody is getting paid.

Pop musicians (anything not classical) sell tickets and merch at venues by being entertainers, not for being only musicians.

There is no crime in playing chords while a better guitarist plays over you. Who cares who the crowd cheers for? Do you think the guitarist doing the solo really cares? I'm sure he is getting paid fine, and is probably having fun because he gets the chance to wank around on the board for a bit.
  7. I thought Dave NAvarro was a good guitarist and didn't need such tricks.

Now Munky from Korn.... that's a whole different story.
  8. policyvote

Jul 31, 2006
    Holt, MI
    You guys, concert video producers don't always know what is going on with the music. I have DirecTV, and there's a channel called "Freeview" which is almost always concert footage. Between watching that pretty regularly, and of course seeing my share of concert vids, I can't tell you how many times I've seen loving closeups of the frontman while the [rhythm guitarist/slide guitarist/lap steel player/bassist] took a solo.

9. Eric Grossman

Eric Grossman

Nov 3, 2004
    St. Louis
    Endorsing Artist: Hipshot Products and SIT Strings
    This is so true. I have been a victim of this more than a few times. Here comes the bass breakdown, and the closeup is of the singer, doing whatever. don't hate the player, hate the game.
  10. I don't like artists that have to hire sessionists or use computers.