Just curious

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stu L., Jul 2, 2002.

1. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Does anyone use, or know of someone who does, an electronic crossover with their cabs? I was just thining, if you had like an 18 and a 2x10, you would probably want some kind of crossover, wouldn't you?

Just me thinking again. I'll try to quit.

BTW, is this the right forum?
  2. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    Yes, I think so. And since it's my decision... :p
  3. Yep, that's what you would do with that setup.

I use the crossover feature on my Yamaha PB-1 in that way. It's a simple highpass/lowpass system with just gain and frequency controls but it does the job perfectly. Remember though that if you've got 2 signals going to 2 cabs you're going to have to come up with 2 amps.

In case you left that out of your calculations.
  4. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I wasnt neccacarily (sp?) thinking of putting togother such a rig, but wondered if anyone used crossovers.

Hambone, so you run into your amp, then out from the crossover points to 2 other amps? Do you actually have 3 boxes that your signals go through before hitting your cabs? Just trying to make sure that i follow ya. I really appreciate the response.

5. No, I'm pretty sure crossovers don't go in the chain after the power amp. I don't think they would be able to take the voltage that was designed for the speakers. I split my signal after my preamp but before the power amps. Highs- 250hz and up - go to one amp that drives the 2x12 and lows - 250hz and lower - go to another driving the single 15. Clarity is tremendous but the way the sound comes out sort of takes some getting used to. By that I mean, with different frequencies coming out of different cabs, the sound picture is pretty "big" when up close to the cabs. After you get a little way out from them is where the 2 sounds blend nicely.
  6. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    The crossover must go into the chain before the power amp. The power portion of the chain should be, IMHO, the final link in the chain, amplification of the "finished product" so to speak.

7. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Yeah, I just realized that I asked if Hambone amplified an already amplified signal. I knew you cant do that. I meant to say was pre-amp. Sorry for the confusion.

Hambone, how far away do you get before the sound comes out evenly balanced? I mean, a few feet, or off of the stage?